White on my Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2UNIQ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys
Just new to the forums and had a quick question........
It all started about a month ago when i puchased some Kent Liquid to make the Rocks more colorful about half my Rocks are all WHITE.I forgot to menton the name of the product but was told its something like PURPLE UP....
This mean my rock are dead?
Anything i can add to get rid of this.The gave me some other stuff from kent which is a blue bottle and its called CORAL-VITE..This any good?
Any help would be appreciated
THANKS

Stop adding anything at this point it sounds like you bleached your coraline that was there or , caused a precipitation on your LR ,,, try increasing your water changes and check your Calcium (CA) Alk , and your Iodine/iodide levels ... You should be testing before adding any thing and probably dont need it with proper water changes (about 10%-25% weekly ) You can cause things to go out of balance with addtions that really are not needed . If you do not have corals that are removing CA you really dont need it all you need are a few coraline spors to start it going it can take upto a year to see it start to develop in any real amounts ..
Coral vite is not really needed as your corals will pull from your feedings when you feed your fish , it can fuel algea blooms and diatoms or even cynobacteria . By increasing your nitrAtes , phosphates and DOC ...:)

Sorry but im all new to this.Anyways i DONT have Corals at all?
So basically by water changes can make thw white come off the rocks?
At this point can the rocks come back to life and how?

Also does it make it worse by leaving my UV light on for the day?
Thanks

Last edited:
Turn the uv off for now. The LR unless it dried out should still be live ... Your water changes will replace all lost trace elements , and remove DOCs. As for the corals if you have none you really really dont need the coral vite ;)

Thats ok I am sorry . LR= Live Rock :)
DOC= Disolved Organic Compounds :)

Thanks for the explaination!

BTW how long before you think the rock will come back to color or never will..
Do other additives affect as well?

All addtives that are in the Chem arena should be always tested before adding , such as calcium , alk , mag , iodine/iodide (which purple up has both CA and iodine/iodide) ect , the stuff that is sold as suppliment/foods are really not needed and can send your peremeters out of wack such as increased phosphates which= algea almost always ;)
Your live rock if it was not dried out will return how quickly it is hard to say but ours colored up with in a year :) it was at about the 3or 4 month mark that we started to see "specs" of color ... New tanks are always wacky in the perameters so be sure to just do weekly water changes that will replace your trace elements :) (water changes should be done after the cycle is completed )

I agree, the color will come back. I have an urchin that eats mine and it grows back pretty quickly.

As Sadie said just keep up with frequent PWC`c and be checking your calcium and Alk levels. It will come back with a vengence and be all over your rock and glass and equipment and then you`ll be sorry for wishing for it. LOL It will come back, be patient.

Back
Top Bottom