White specs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyLKush

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
I am new to the salt water community and just started setting up my 30 gallon tank. It has been up and running now for just over a month. I have 2 blue damsels one tomato clown and a Picasso trigger right now along with live rock and just added a soft coral piece not sure what it is exactly I will post a picture maybe someone can identify it for me and maybe tell me what te best way to take care of it is and how to grow it. Will it attach it self to the rock I have and continue to spread? Also since I have added the coral I have noticed white specs on the glass that seem I be alive and moving around not sure what exactly they are if they are maybe small fish or a bacteria or parasite of some sort. They are super super tiny can't really get a good picture of them but maybe someone could help me out. None of my fish look pregnant. Thanks for the help in advance.

Scott.

Attachments

• image-1368151744.jpg
    image-1368151744.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2896878155.jpg
    image-2896878155.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3175201052.jpg
    image-3175201052.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-504398789.jpg
    image-504398789.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2266286800.jpg
    image-2266286800.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 100
Hello all,
I am new to the salt water community and just started setting up my 30 gallon tank. It has been up and running now for just over a month. I have 2 blue damsels one tomato clown and a Picasso trigger right now along with live rock and just added a soft coral piece not sure what it is exactly I will post a picture maybe someone can identify it for me and maybe tell me what te best way to take care of it is and how to grow it. Will it attach it self to the rock I have and continue to spread? Also since I have added the coral I have noticed white specs on the glass that seem I be alive and moving around not sure what exactly they are if they are maybe small fish or a bacteria or parasite of some sort. They are super super tiny can't really get a good picture of them but maybe someone could help me out. None of my fish look pregnant. Thanks for the help in advance.

Scott.

The coral is Kenya tree and it will literally grow anywhere and spread like a weed. The white specs are most likely copepods or spirobid worms which are harmless hitchhikers. Common in all sw tanks. Also, that trigger will outgrow that tank.

Hey thank you for your response sorry I didn't write sooner didn't realize you responded. Still new to the forum. Do you have any idea why it won't let me post in the forsale section?

Also I recently got what I believe is a piece of white star polyp it's been about 5 days since I've gotten it. It's semi opening up I had it on a rock but it fell off and I think it got disturbed. I placed it in a different spot now and it seems to be staying on without falling off. Will it attach to the rock? I'm not sure if it's exactly healthy what can I do to prevent it from dying. Sorry a lot of questions I'm just kind of learning everything as I go. Thanks in advance.

Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• image-365475276.jpg
    image-365475276.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 77
I think you need a certain amount of posts before you can post on that part of the forum. The polyps will eventually grow onto the other rock. They look fine to me as well :)

Wow, how's all your fish doing? I'm no salt water pro but just speaking from personal experience. But if I were you I would put those nice fish in a friends established tank. Just after a month I would wait a bit before adding those nice fish and corals. Not to mention in such a small tank. I would hate to see you go through what I did because of noobness.

Well it's actually been about two months now. But all my fish are doing just fine I've had them for a while now and I haven't seen any signs of them being stressed out. They all eat fine and swim around all day.

You know what's funny? Mine were great until my tank crashed. It came out of no where. Then over a 24 hour period they died one by one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But even two months is early for corals and that amount of live stock. Also that trigger should not be in there.

2 months is fine for coral if the tank is cycled. You do need more rock though. You want at least 30 lbs. that trigger needs to be rehomed as well, you will run into problems eventually.

You know what's funny? Mine were great until my tank crashed. It came out of no where. Then over a 24 hour period they died one by one. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But even two months is early for corals and that amount of live stock. Also that trigger should not be in there.

I had coral in my tank 2 weeks after it was set up. I did buy cured live rock so that had to do with my choice to add corals soo quickly, but as long as the tank is cycled then beginner corals are fine to add whenever.

2 months is fine for coral if the tank is cycled. You do need more rock though. You want at least 30 lbs. that trigger needs to be rehomed as well, you will run into problems eventually.

I would add a few more pounds of live rock but i think 30 would be too much for this tank. 1lb / gallon is a guideline but there's no reason you can't use less.

I wholeheartedly agree with rehoming the trigger though as they absolutely need a very large aquarium.

The tank is completely cycled. I have been planning on re-homing the trigger anyway since he isn't exactly reef safe. Also I have added some more rock not sure exactly how much it all weighs together but there are plenty if hiding spots for the fish right now. I have come to realize that this tank is not going to be big enough for me so once I learn a little more an save a little more, my plan is to purchase a much larger tank.

After my research I came to conclusion that a 55 is probably the smallest for beginners. I like the size of mine. I don't think I will go larger. I will just stock less fish. 5 is my new max.

Back
Top Bottom