White spongey object on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know what this white spongey object could be that is protruding out of my live rock? Looks like a bubbly mouldy substance. Is it a type of fungus? Anything harmful?

Attachments

• image-2879017663.jpg
    image-2879017663.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2831467973.jpg
    image-2831467973.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 93
Looks to be a sponge. Usually there's a "vent" where they are able to push water through as they are filter feeders.

I think you may be right from the marine sponge images I've googled including this one, which looks like a similar texture and look to what I have but mine is a tiny piece, although it seems to be getting bigger as bigger over time.

Attachments

• image-1337398431.jpg
    image-1337398431.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 92
They do start small, I have several pinks and a n orange spread throughout my tank. Sometime my blenny will pick at em, but other than that they just encrust the rock and add color. The orange looks pretty cool under blue at night tho.

Also, whilst looking at pictures of sponges I found these 5-legged bristle worm type of creature on one of these sponges which I also have and was also curious as to what it was. Anyone know what they are called?

Attachments

• image-2026454822.jpg
    image-2026454822.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 80
They do start small, I have several pinks and a n orange spread throughout my tank. Sometime my blenny will pick at em, but other than that they just encrust the rock and add color. The orange looks pretty cool under blue at night tho.

Do they all start being white in colour then changing colours, and how big do you think it could grow?

Those 5 legged bristle worms are actually brittle sea stars and are a great part of your CUC

Those 5 legged bristle worms are actually brittle sea stars and are a great part of your CUC

Thanks! Now that I see a picture of what brittle sea stars look like, I know for sure that's what mine is as I saw it looks exactly the same. What benefits do they provide? Are they reef safe? I read they can grow up to 10" long!!

Back
Top Bottom