White Stuff on Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blondinkaya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any idea what this stuff is? Our tank is one week old as of yesterday; so far we have the saltwater (obviously) and 23lbs of live rock in our aquarium. Could it be die-off? Thanks for looking and for your help!

img_679418_0_166722c00d20fa1beb1a3facbef764b5.jpg

img_679418_1_fe59f78ecb20b6377f802552a7d04d61.jpg

yep, looks like an unhappy sponge to me, which indeed, will become die off.

Thanks so much! There really isn't much I can do, is there?

I'm off to do some research on this ...

If I could save it, I'd love to. I'm in the process of cycling my tank (w/uncured rock). I turned my light off. What else can I do? Also ... once my tank is cycled, won't it die when I start turning my light on? Would changing the angle of the rock help any?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to do what I can if I can to save it ...

If I could save it, I'd love to. I'm in the process of cycling my tank

It won't make it through the cycle, IMO (too much toxic stuff in there right now). I had that stuff too and my urchins munched it.

It's common for these sponges to die off, some of it has to do with being exposed to air during transport. I wouldn't worry about it. Let your tank finish it's cycle. In a few months time, you'll have many more sponges to replace the onces that don't make it.

Back
Top Bottom