Whoah - wierd looking tube worm thing growing amongst shroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
wierd.jpg

This has been slowly growing. I didn't realize how ugly it was until I got a macro shot of it.

Thanks. You should see the full-sized image (3000x2000 some pixels).

My wife and I own a small photography studio, I used our Canon XTi DSLR with a 100MM macro lens at ISO 1600. A little curve levelling and noise reduction in photoshop. No flash.

Devilishturtles said:
Vermetid gastropod? Does it ever release any web like substance?

This is my assumption as well. I can see what appears to be a thin mucus strand in the pic.

It does release a stringy white stuff, similar to what shrooms release when they, um, expell waste?

Scoot said:
It does release a stringy white stuff
I have a lot of them. When I blow off the rock or stir up some sand in my tank it looks like someone sprayed silly string or something. It disappears as the water clears. Over all a good critter to have IMO. They seem to be great consumers of detritus.

Great video!!! thanks for sharing! I have tons of them in my tanks as well....Every once in a while a fish will swim through the webs and have it stuck to them. I agree with Mike they seem to snag up waste...

Agree with others... looks like a big cobweb in my tank when I blow off the rocks! I have to admit though, seeing that macro shot gives me the shivers knowing what those little tiny tubes look like close up!

I have similar tube worms!

The tube worms I have are smaller, and release smaller strands of webs. I don't have pics yet but I will make some and post them.

Who would have thought we'd find such an acomplished "underwater" photographer in Nebraska? (smiling but not kidding) Your photos are great!

He's pulling in a bit of mysis.

Thanks for the compliments. I do have a small photography business on the side, but I mostly do fashion photos (models, etc) and stuff. I tried using some strobes on my tank for the first time last week - it's amazing how much easier that makes things. I'll have to spend some time getting some new photos.

Back
Top Bottom