wht is the brown thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
may i know what is this?
how do i get rid of it?

Attachments

• dsc04071.jpg
    dsc04071.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 108
  • dsc04072.jpg
    dsc04072.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 113
  • dsc04073.jpg
    dsc04073.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 166
dont see anything brown but the algae. brown algaes are caused by silicates in the water not like other algaes. it looks like some cyano coming in too. get your phosphates under control or it will spread quickly. good luck

phosphate reducers will work but I would suggest finding the cause of the phosphates. possibly source water, overcrowding or overfeeding. Try to siphon as much of the red out as possible and use chemi clean to completely remove it. of course unless the phosphates are gone. as for the brown algae dont worry it will burn out on its own after time.

cycled

if the tank is cycled you could use mexican turbo snails or rock blenny (lawnmower). I agree with RMPD109 though. I usually put these in customers tanks, because I cant be there every day to test water and add chemicals. They really seem to get rid of every algea but the red. But it you have the time and money I would do what RMPD109 said.

Actually diatoms require silicates to form their cell walls. Reducing/eliminating the silicates will eliminate the diatoms. Indirectly the use of PO4 removing materials will work but they will largley sorb the PO4 first and then remove the silicates so it does take time. Water changes as boardsurfer suggested will help as long as the water source is pure... ie RO/DI. RO alone will not be sufficient.

As RMPD109 mentioned they will burn out on their own once the silicates fueling their growth is eliminated/used up. As long as new sources are being re-introduced (primarily tap or RO only water), the problem will continue. If the source is removed, no other action on your part would be needed.

Cheers
Steve

eerrr... i use tap water to top up and water change.
will get a RO soon.
but i do put AMQUEL PLUS to reduce the ammonia, nirite and nirate.

the red thing keep coming back. i don't dare to buy a lawnmower blenny because i affraid that it will consume all the antural food as i have scooter blenny which only consume natural food. so...? should i buy the lawnmower?

leesanhua said:
eerrr... i use tap water to top up and water change.
will get a RO soon.
Be sure it has (or you get later) a DI resin attachment. The RO membrane alone will not eliminate PO4 or silicates.

but i do put AMQUEL PLUS to reduce the ammonia, nirite and nirate.
Always a must when using tap water to add some sort of conditioner. Personally I prefer Prime but Amquel works just fine.

the red thing keep coming back. i don't dare to buy a lawnmower blenny because i affraid that it will consume all the antural food as i have scooter blenny which only consume natural food. so...? should i buy the lawnmower?
The lawnmower blenny and the scooter will not compete for food sources but adding a fish is not your solution. Lawnmowers will typically only eat green film algaes. Many do not accept prepared foods nor macro algaes and cyano is definately not on the menu. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Find the source of phosphates and stop them. Once they are stopped you can use chemi clean as mentioned above.

Possible sources include- overfeeding, overpopulation, source water.

leesanhua said:
so.. how do i get rid of the red algea?

The red algae is the cyano mentioned above. Follow the above suggestions to remove the nutrients fueling the cyano.

Back
Top Bottom