Worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

First off all pictures that I have tried taking of this have come out blurry or when you try to crop it out it still doesn't give you the clarity that you need.

On one of my pieces of LR i have a little worm that comes out every now and again. I only assume that it is a worm, because that is what it looks like. It is small maybe stretching at the most 1.5 inches... and possibly only 1/8" in diameter. It has a black/greyish brown coloration. It is very smooth looking, and any attempt to get near it makes it disappear.

When it appears, it looks as if it is coming out of the rock itself, and really only extending along the rock (without really coming off the rock) and then retracting, only to repeat in the same and usually different direction, at varying lengths.

It is not out all the time, but i do see it occasionally.

Is there anyone that can possibly point me in a direction to look up something close to this? I don't expect you to tell me what it is with my vague description.

TIA

that looks basically like it...

sipunculid.jpg

Of course I only ever see the darker section...

From what I read about them , they are harmless

true/false?

Ah, you posted as I was looking. Yea, the body of the worm stays in the rock usually and you only see the snout. (lol technical term) They are harmless rock boring worms that are actually beneficial since they consume detrius.

Back
Top Bottom