Worms! Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just noticed my first "worm" today...actually two of them, which means there are probably more. They are so tiny that they will probably be hard to identify. I'll attach a pic as a second post because I have to use the phone to upload. Its a very clear shot, but they are so tiny that you have to zoom quite a bit to get a good look at them.

Regardless of whether or not we can ID what they are, I've got a general question: do most worms fall under the good category or the bad category? Should you remove any worm you see, or leave them alone for the most part?

And while we are at it, the ONLY reason I discovered these guys is because they were on this dark spot on my rock. Does that look like coralline to y'all?

I've seen those as well and I have no clue what kind of worms they are ?

I have them too and have not gotten anyone to ID them. I forgot to check at my LFS the last time I was there but will ask the next time I go.

I have them too and have not gotten anyone to ID them. I forgot to check at my LFS the last time I was there but will ask the next time I go.

@callen I went to my LFS today and they believe I have spaghetti worms. They pointed out some in their tanks and they look the same. I'm not sure if the ones in your tank are as well.

So, these worms are difficult to identify largely because of size. You'd need a macro lens to give us a clear enough shot to be 100% sure.
That being said, the vast majority of worms you'll see in a reef tank are beneficial scavengers that work hard so you don't have to. Bristle worms, spaghetti worms, peanut worms, etc. all play a vital role in breaking down waste and detritus to keep tanks from being polluted. But they are so efficient that they have gotten a bad rap historically. There was a time not so long ago when it was difficult to keep sessile and even many motile invertebrates alive for long in tanks. Usually lighting issues. Anyway, what would usually happen is things would die in the middle of the night and fall to the sand bed. The hard working worms immediately begin consuming the corpse, preventing a tank crash. But then the lights come on in the morning and the hobbyist sees a dead anemone covered with worms and thinks they killed it. The poor things have never recovered from this misunderstanding.
So celebrate your worms! Be glad! You have worms! Yay!

So, these worms are difficult to identify largely because of size. You'd need a macro lens to give us a clear enough shot to be 100% sure.
That being said, the vast majority of worms you'll see in a reef tank are beneficial scavengers that work hard so you don't have to. Bristle worms, spaghetti worms, peanut worms, etc. all play a vital role in breaking down waste and detritus to keep tanks from being polluted. But they are so efficient that they have gotten a bad rap historically. There was a time not so long ago when it was difficult to keep sessile and even many motile invertebrates alive for long in tanks. Usually lighting issues. Anyway, what would usually happen is things would die in the middle of the night and fall to the sand bed. The hard working worms immediately begin consuming the corpse, preventing a tank crash. But then the lights come on in the morning and the hobbyist sees a dead anemone covered with worms and thinks they killed it. The poor things have never recovered from this misunderstanding.
So celebrate your worms! Be glad! You have worms! Yay!

There is so much conflicting information out there making it quite difficult for newbie reefers like me. Plus it's so hard to ID the critters, even with picture references. I researched further and saw some posts on forums that claimed that similar critters were hydroids.

Well, definitely not colonial hydroids, but maybe the stringy type. Again, difficult to tell without a much closer picture. If it's a hydroid then it's bad. If it's a worm, it's probably good.

I think they are digitate hydroids based on pictures I found on what seem to be reputable sites. And of course the info about what to do or not to do with them is conflicting.

Hers a pic of the ones that are in my tank. I removed this skeleton but later they showed up on other rocks. I'm not sure if the pic is clear enough to ID but they are about 3" long, a thin as a strand of hair, appear to be white, have smaller feather like strands coming off of the main strand (almost barb-like), and the tip seems slightly round.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387901822.212225.jpg

If the attached pic is too fuzzy to clearly ID I can try to capture a new one with a better camera.

I have these same worms along with a few other types. They are not spaghetti worms as they have many "arms" reaching out like a bowl of spaghetti. I haven't had any ill effects from these particular worms as they just catch particles out of the water column.

Well I missed this conversation when it was actually happening. Got a chuckle out of Mac's celebratory advice. My worms not near as long as keitha's , but the have the same skinny tail/ body and larger elongated head. Most of what I read said most worms are good, do I won't sweat it to much. Ill just keep wondering until they get bigger and I can get a better photo!

I believe that they are digitate hydroids :( I've been target killing them with boiling water per advice I've read. I hope it doesn't get out of control and start harming my coral. My tank is only about 2 months old and it would be sad if they take over, especially since this is my first saltwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom