Xenia or aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No they don't. You can see the feathered appearence on dusters compared to the tentacles on hydroids or aiptasia. Only the OP will be able to tell for sure, but from the pic I see billowy tentacles of at least 6 from the bottom organism, usually indicating aiptasia or hydroids (probable imo).

Agree... dusters and hydroids are pretty darn different looking. Even tiny ones. Those definitely aren't baby candy canes or xenia. Could be aiptasia, but I'm thinking not because the "stalk" seems pretty darn stout. Looks a lot like the hydroids I've got in my tank. Not the evil things they're made out to be, but they can become a nuisance. If they don't get much bigger, then they're hydoids. Within a couple weeks though, you'll know if they're aiptasia.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll wait a while to what happens. The things don't disappear when touched so I'm comfortable saying that they are not aptasia. This hobby can be frustrating, I hate waiting. Thanks again everyone!!

You are correct Hydriods it is... I have know clue what the heck I was looking at.... Then again I really do need Glasses :)

I've never even heard of hydroids, you learn something new every day. Kurt does n't sound very convincing that they are not much to worry about. So I guess my next question is, do I do anything :confused:?

go to my profile page. There is a hitchhiker link that I got from Melosu. I think it links to an article on hydroids. I have them in my tank. I'm not worried about them, thjough. They can sting from what I understand, but mine aren't really in danger of being able to do that.

...The things don't disappear when touched so I'm comfortable saying that they are not aptasia....

Yes... that's true. But with your comment, now I'm not 100% sure on the hydroid ID! If they're the type of colonial hydroid I have, the little tube part is stiff, but kinda flexible. But when disturbed, the little wavy tentacles will quickly retract into the tube. Does that describe what yours does?

They look like colonial hydriods, id remove them at the first sign of spreading.

Yes, they do go inside the tube. I'm working right now and don't want to stick my hand in the tank so I won't know what they feel until later.

go to my profile page. There is a hitchhiker link that I got from Melosu. I think it links to an article on hydroids. I have them in my tank. I'm not worried about them, thjough. They can sting from what I understand, but mine aren't really in danger of being able to do that.
I just looked thorough the link. Thanks again, I remember seeing it a couple months ago but I'm glad I was able to find it again.

I've never even heard of hydroids, you learn something new every day. Kurt doesn't sound very convincing that they are not much to worry about. So I guess my next question is, do I do anything :confused:?

I'm intrested to see how this works out. Can you get a closer pic?

I had a hard time getting the pic that I posted. I had to hold the coral up to the glass and try to focus and click with one hand.
Thanks, Jeff, for the link. I haven't had time to really read everything. I am concerned that they can sting my coral. I already have several on this coral, and don't need them to multiply.

I understand. And they will start popping up in various locations. Like I said...mine aren't dirctly by any coral yet, so I haven't done anything.

...Kurt does n't sound very convincing that they are not much to worry about. ...?

Hmmm... good thing I'm not a saleman by trade!

I have them in my tank and yes, they do spread, but not very much and not very fast. Of course, I'm sure that may change depending on water conditions. Kalk paste smeared over the little buggers will definitely kill them, but Innovator mentioned one time my new favorite method: just grab a wad of them with some long handled tweezers and twist them off the rock. Depending on the colony shape and your rock, this may be easier said than done.

Regarding them harming corals, here's my two hydroid/coral encounters. I once had a group pop up near my torch coral. As the torch coral grew and could reach them, within weeks the hydroid colony was gone. The torch coral isn't in my tank anymore, but they've never come back in that area.

And right this minute, I have a colony of little snowflake polyps (sansibia/anthelia) that went bonkers on me and spread themselves all over my tank. One of the offspring polyps established itself right next to a colony of hydoids and started spreading. It's right now in the process of overgrowing the hydroid colony, and it appears it's going to snuff it out.

So from my limited experience, hydroids don't really lay waste to everything they encounter. I'm sure they will kill off certain corals, but I haven't seen it yet.

Is that more convincing? :)

Yes, Sir, I am convinced :lol: .Thanks again to everyone. Its nice to know you can shout out a question and get answers so fast.

Back
Top Bottom