Yellow eye tang fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I got my yellow eye about a week ago and today I was watching him and I notice his fin seemed to be a bit white. Any idea what this could be? He does try to get in all the small spaces of my live rock so can it just be him scraping it? I do notice that he doesn't move that fin as fast as The other side but when He doesn't see me I catch him swimming all around.
Image1489377386.890787.jpgImage1489377508.619362.jpgImage1489377530.174008.jpg

almost looks like a fungus looks like a white cottony bacteria infection / fin rot

Heres a link that can help you with treatment

scroll down to bacterial infections

Saltwater Fish Diseases and Treatments

What ever you do do not treat in your display tank use a QT/Hospital tank for treatment

Last edited:
I currently don't have a hospital tank. Is there anything I can do till then? He seems to be eating fine still

I would separate him from the other fish as soon as you can really don't want it to spread as it can be catastrophic being fatal

clean the net after use with peroxide to kill off the fungus residue that can be left on the net

Okay so even a antibiotics chemical will be bad to put into you're main tank?

Do you think it's still not safe even if it says all natural and safe for coral?

agreed with above statement by hank you wont be able to keep any type inverts and most corals will not survive or thrive, it will also kill off all your beneficial bacteria
your rock would be considered useless once copper is applied

I have never seen any treatment that is 'safe for inverts and coral' that is anything but an actual medicine. All of these things are theoretical 'assistants' towards a healthy immune system. They are not proven and they aren't an actual treatment towards any type of disease.

So update the kole yellow eye fin seems to be all better now. Idk if it was stress or what but he's eating mysis shrimp and also seafood. The only thing is I notice he has one little dot on the fin yesterday and today

I had the same thing on my yellow Tang. Around the same time, I noticed my blue tang got an outburst of ich.

I agree with Hank and Seaweed, it is better to use a quarantine tank. Unfortunately, I learned this from personal experience after having paid extra for a premium Ich medication from my local Big Al's that was supposed to be reef safe and designed to be used in the display case. I thought that it was probably more economical to pay the premium than have the additional expense for a separate QT. In the end, I lost half my small crabs and 3 corals ($100s of dollars down the drain).

Do any of your other fish show signs of stress?

No they're all acting fine. The yellow eye seems comfy now and eats off his seaweed clip now. There a small dot still but my local fish store said try feeding its food with garlic and if it doesn't get better soon treat it for ich

That is what my local store said as well. Garlic Guard is supposed to help boost the immune system.

It didn't work for me, but I already had ich burst on my blue tang before I introduced the garlic (by then it was too late).

Good luck...

Thanks. I'm going to setup my qt tank tonight just in case. I kinda want to give it another day or two to see what happened

It seems like it may have not been ich cause yesterday dot was gone. This morning i notice it seemed like he lost some color and seems a bit pale though. He's still swimming around and eating. What can it be?

Most likely you had a stressed out fish that you then moved, which is additional stress.
There is a chance that ich is still in his system and simply hasn't entered the cyst phase yet.
What you do is maintain stable parameters and make sure that he has a place to hide in the QT tank. PVC elbows are always a great choice. Just make sure that you are doing water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels in check so there isn't additional stress on the tang.

Okay I did a water change yesterday but it was the first time I try to mixed my own up. I will do another water change with the water/salt mix I normally get from my lfs

Back
Top Bottom