Yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevinalewis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is my yellow tang dying? There's a brown area behind his gill on one side of his body? I just noticed this a few days ago. He's in a 55 gal now but I'm saving up for a 125 that I should have by beginning of spring :). All my water parameters are fine. Mabe the damsels are picking on him?

Attachments

• image-885931851.jpg
    image-885931851.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 96
Found this reference on line...

Columnaris

• Columnaris is a bacterial infection that often first attacks fish around the gills. It's frequently the result of stressful aquarium conditions such as overcrowding, or low tank oxygen levels. The gills of infected fish will usually turn a light brown, getting darker over time, according to National Fish Pharmaceuticals. Death can occur within a few days if treatment is not administered.

Read more: Aquarium Fish & Gill Diseases | eHow.com Aquarium Fish & Gill Diseases | eHow.com

I'm not totally sure that's your problem but, of note is the point about stressing a fish in "conditions such as overcrowding..." - as in a yellow tang in a 55g tank. Hope everything turns out well.

Damsels are evil. That, plus stress from a small tank will do in a tang.

Is the brown area worse? Do you ever see the damsels chasing him away?

No never see damsels chasing him. Anyone have any helpful hints on how to trap them?

Brown area hasn't gotten any worse. He's not that big & less than 3". I don't want to lose him before getting new tank. That would suck!

Back
Top Bottom