10g -- looking for suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here's a picture of my 10g semi-planted tank. I'm looking to go totally planted when I get more money and replace the few silk plants in there, hopefully with something other than the PetSmart plant bulbs that are growing in there as you can see. I have three onions, one aponogeton, and one lily.

I can't help but feel like my tank is missing something. It just doesn't look right to me. I think it might be too busy, or it lacks a focal point.

I can't move the lily around unfortunately, as you can barely see it. The roots are very much grounded in the sand and I think I almost damaged it earlier trying to move things around.

I would appreciate any and all advice I can get on how to improve my tank!

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 203
Nice setup, however if you add more plants and non synthetic, your betta could potentially break off a scale and subject him to infection. Too many plants and you ruin the effect of natural environment.

Nice setup, however if you add more plants and non synthetic, your betta could potentially break off a scale and subject him to infection. Too many plants and you ruin the effect of natural environment.

Please define for me "too many plants". IME, there is no such thing until the lower plants suffer from light deficiency or it becomes aesthetically non-pleasing to the keeper. Natural plants hold little to zero risk of causing a betta injury. Their natural environment (not that the bettas common in the hobby are natural to that environ any longer) consists of dense vegetation and sometimes black water conditions.

I think it looks very nice. Those onion plants get really long, so once they start growing, I think that will balance out your tank nicely.

Oh great thanks!

I'm thinking of replacing the two tall fake plants with anubias, as thats what they are suppose to be, right?

They look like a sword plant or maybe cryptocoryne replicas. Anubias are wonderful starter plants in my opinion though.

goodeyesniper said:
It's actually just PetCo black aquarium sand! It was pretty cheap!

Nice tank I just got black sand also from petco pretty cool sand eh? Lovin your tank though!

You may need a light upgrade but I like glossostigma. I'm delving into the world of planted tanks too so I'd love to see how it looks if you try. You may also want to take a look at dwarf hair grass.

Yeah I'm hoping to keep this lowlight, but I might make a nano shrimp tank with high lighting over the summer.

I'm thinking of replacing the small fake plant with a java fern, I think it might really fill the middle. And I'm going to try to find some swords to replace the fake ones in the back.

Here's my updated tank!

As you can see, the lily has grown quite a bit and I'm using it mostly as the focal point in my tank.

The driftwood to the right of and the rock in front of the lily all have anubias nanas tied down to them, which will hopefully latch on over the time. The roots are a little tangled but will hopefully be okay.

To the left of the lily is a bit of a mess. There is a java fern tied to a rock, which seems to be growing roots slightly, however it won't stand up because of the rock.
Behind that are some small amazon swords I got at petsmart. I think they're growing slowly but I can't say for sure because they're blocked by the lily.

There is also an aponogeton bulb growing around the lily but I think I might get rid of it, I'm not a huge fan of it.

On the left you see some microsword species which isn't doing so well. I'm thinking of replacing them with some dwarf hairgrass or a different microsword species when I get a chance.

Now, I'm thinking I should fill out the left side of the tank besides having just small river rocks in the sand. Is there a good midground or background lowlight plant I could use? I'm also looking to fill up some space behind the driftwood near the heater. Any suggestions on plants/movement for the fern and swords?

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom