20g all male Malawi startup tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 assorted africans, 1blue johanni, 1 albino flameback, and 1 other I cant remember the name of. I started with a biowheel 150 but it didnt seem do the job with how stocked it now is and went with a 75gallon api filstar (biowheel is still on back untill i feel fuere is enough bacteria in new filtre) I have a fluval q2 air pump. I use only distilled or reverse osmosis water and add plenty of cichlid mineral salt and a 8.2 buffer its my first real tank (got it as an engagement gift for my fiance but am the one doing all the work go figure) I've only has it 2 months and am starting to set up a 55 for them. Only had one casualty and it was the little guy in the last pic he looked bigger at the LFS he was my favorate. The one I can't seem to ID is the one with the blue stripe along his dorsal.

ForumRunner_20120919_092807.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_092832.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_092900.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_092938.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_092958.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_093049.jpg

I will have more pics for yall up soon.

MMantelli said:
I have 2 assorted africans, 1blue johanni, 1 albino flameback, and 1 other I cant remember the name of. I started with a biowheel 150 but it didnt seem do the job with how stocked it now is and went with a 75gallon api filstar (biowheel is still on back untill i feel fuere is enough bacteria in new filtre) I have a fluval q2 air pump. I use only distilled or reverse osmosis water and add plenty of cichlid mineral salt and a 8.2 buffer its my first real tank (got it as an engagement gift for my fiance but am the one doing all the work go figure) I've only has it 2 months and am starting to set up a 55 for them. Only had one casualty and it was the little guy in the last pic he looked bigger at the LFS he was my favorate. The one I can't seem to ID is the one with the blue stripe along his dorsal.

I will have more pics for yall up soon.

Nice Cichlids! You may have some problems with the johanni as they are pretty aggressive. The one in the last picture looks to be a peacock and the mbuna probably killed it since they are only in a 20. You must have been doing a lot of research to know they need to be in a 55 or bigger. We have an article about Malawi Cichlids, have you seen it?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/lake-malawi-aquarium-stocking-cichlids/

I'm not sure how he died there was no damage to him but he did have as seizure lookin thing the day before and since the albino peacock is the alpha the johanni just excavates the substrate constantly and thank yall I can't wait till I have my 55 going its gonna b awhile though I'm gonna do a 3d background as nd build a center structure the same way and I'm gonna make it as natural as I can.

MMantelli said:
I'm not sure how he died there was no damage to him but he did have as seizure lookin thing the day before and since the albino peacock is the alpha the johanni just excavates the substrate constantly and thank yall I can't wait till I have my 55 going its gonna b awhile though I'm gonna do a 3d background as nd build a center structure the same way and I'm gonna make it as natural as I can.

Nice! There is a boxs article on here about 3D backgrounds and I love natural lol you should check out my album photos ;) good luck

I've read quite a few articles on here the 3d one I will be reading again when I go to do it ill pe taking pics of the whole process but will eventually be needing some stocking help in a few months though

MMantelli said:
I've read quite a few articles on here the 3d one I will be reading again when I go to do it ill pe taking pics of the whole process but will eventually be needing some stocking help in a few months though

If you do a thread search there are other 3D builds if you would like some options. People would rather make threads but I believe the mods like the articles better. There is another article for Malawi Cichlids that I wrote with the help of a few other members. I was actually thinking today maybe I should start a part two off of that one. Because there ate still a lot of the same questions. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom