A lobster sighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
I have not seen my Spiney lobster in a few years. I`ve probably have seen him maybe 5 times in 7 yrs. I thought he might have died since I have not seen him for a long while. The lights had been off for an hour or so when I caught him roaming the tank. Here is he. It`s not the best shot of him but with him it`s better than nothing. This invert is not what you want if you want him front and center.

100_1948.jpg

Isn't great when you find an old friend like that still roaming the tank. I haven't seen my pistol shrimp in months, but I assume it's still in a burrow somewhere. Maybe time for a goby to go with it....

He`s pretty good at being a janitor. I know in the wild they live long life spans.

How big is he? I just watched my pistol being guided by his goby buddy to get food. He keeps his antenna on the goby for direction. The goby got a little spooked when he noticed I was there and made a move at me and then the pistol came out further to defend his buddy.

Mike, you sure that is not a purple lobster? I think spinys tend to be blue, but I could be wrong.
Neilanh, some are reef safe and others will eat smaller reef fish or inverts...probably snails or smaller shrimp. You'll have to look at specific lobsters, as some are omnivores and others are carnivores. I don't know a heck of a lot about them, so maybe some one that does can educate us farther.

Yes you are right Scott. I`ve been calling it my purple lobster for yrs but mispoke on that post. Here is a link neilanh

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Debelius' Reef Lobster

BTW they are reef safe and I`ve not had a problem with him in the 7 yrs I had him. But let me warn you. You will rarely see it. As I stated I`ve seen mine 5 times in the last 7 yrs. They are good janitors but they do not like to be seen. They only come out at nite time.

Thanks for the info. I have some time yet to do research.

Help me out. When I was a kid (we're talking 25 years ago) I have memories of our SW tank, and I swear we had a bright red lobster in it. I remember being heartbroken when we found him one day on his back, dead. Could be my memory, but I recall him being quite large. I guess I should just ask the 'rents, huh?

I see mine on his back all the time. His molt that is. It looks so lifelike also. I really domt know of a red lobster.

Back
Top Bottom