Amature Mars Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lets see your amature mars photos. Last night I was in chat and rememberd that the mars event is at its prime this week. In fact I think mars will be at its closest point of the orbit today at some point.

Anyway I decided I was gonna try to find mars and see if I could get any photos with my digi cam. After having my wife confirm the bright spot in the sky was in deed a red color I got out my tripod and my camera.

Most of these photos where taken with a shutter exposure of 8 sec. Some where taken with a shutter speed of 1 sec.

I live in the middle of a town and I have alot of street lights along the street I am on with one of those lights being right infront of our house between me and mars. The photos have a sort of halo around mars so I am going on that being the earth atmosphere as well as maybe some external light polution.

untouched_mars.sized.jpg

This is a photo at 1 sec exposure with no or little soom. This photo is untouched as far as paintshop pro. Just resized.

enhanced_mars1.sized.jpg

This is the exact same photo as above just run thru paintshop's autofix script. I was amazed to see it pickup all the other points of light in the sky that I did not see in the first photo.

mars1.jpg

To tell the truth I have no idea how I got this photo. I know the shutter was at 8 sec exposure and I know I was at full 4X zoom with the resolution set at max 2272X1800 (or something like that). This photo was cropped in paintshop but thats it.

mars2.jpg

I tried to reproduce the above photo with the camera at a different location but I was never able to get a photo any better. Once again this photo was just cropped in paintshop and thats it.

very cool shots Aaron! I'll have to call up my nephews and see if they've packed their telescope yet.

Well thank you billy. I hope others who might have better photography skills could post photos they have taken of this once in a life time event.

Back
Top Bottom