Angelfish Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I got home today, I discovered 2 of my FW angelfish decided twas time to lay a few hundred eggs. Wheee! Tis my first mated pair, so like a proud momma I took all sorts of pics. Kinda weird now that I think about it LOL taking pix of fish sex but ah well, they didn't seem to mind ;)

So while I did post a few in the FW forums, wanted to share with everyone. In one of the pics, you can even see her breeding tube!

are those eggs on the filter intake? if so be care full, when i have sorys they laid eggs on the back glass near the intake and i didnt want any thing too do with baby corys so i left them there for my pleco and other fish too eat, well they missed some and i found some babys that grew from egg too .5" in my filter. oh yeah congrats on the eggs :mrgreen:

Could be pondmom; angels usually get aggressive around mating time (they may be considered peaceful, but they are certainly cichlids!). My crew had already started chasing each other around the tank when I added what turned out to be a very fertile female to the mix; a week and a half later I came home to fish sex *grin*

Some of the other signs you'll notice are 2 fish chasing the others away from a section of the tank, and watch for fish "cleaning" an egg laying site (nipping and picking at it). Once they pair off, and the site is cleaned to their satisfaction, you'll see them doing exactly what my 2 were doing. One (the female) will move up the chosen egg laying surface depositing eggs, followed by the male who will move the same way depositing milt over the freshly laid eggs. Its really awesome to watch :)

Heh no babies yet. So far they've been eating the eggs (or someone has; tis a community tank with 4 other angels, 6 loaches and a plec LOL). I expected it; eggs aren't around long in a tank like mine!

I figure after Xmas (we'll be away for a week) I'll pull the eggs and see if I can raise me a buncha lil angelfish babies :)

Over in Westchester NY Billy.

If I'm successful, I'll certainly send a couple your way :) We worked out the possible genetics (as best we can considering we don't know the parentage of the 2 breeders), and we'll likely have some smokys, some silvers and all should be veiltails :) Either way I think they'd be lovely companions to your pretty baby (btw, thats not a silver; any idea what it is? A clown mebbe? Unusual markings).

Back
Top Bottom