Another creek day=]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Took another trip to the creek/swamp today in freeport. Ran into a rather large (and sickly?) spotted gar. He was sitting in a few feet of water not moving at all, so I snagged him by the mouth and brought him in. He didn't fight at all, so I don't know what was wrong. I looked for any visible signs of issues so I could go all dr quinn on him, but after a few pictures I sent him back on his way.

img_1383805_0_bcf1e2d27cb8f695da8478db35d0eee8.jpg

img_1383805_1_c756b665fc7771bfe2ea4bfae30f6edd.jpg

img_1383805_2_32b42f88ae15cb174a7afedcf9a64825.jpg

Say hello to the smallest crawfish ever
img_1383805_3_99af011d3033f4d7f51312a764d29a97.jpg

Caught several of the nano species I was after, including pygmy killies, least killies, and pygmy sunfish, also a few small grass pickerel. Will update with pics once I get some clear ones.

that cray is so tiny.there was definitely something wrong with that pike if it didnt fight you whwn you were bringing it in.

Beautiful fish. You don't know how much I want to go native fish collecting because of you... Lol.

that is a beautiful fish. I think it must be a Florida thing, we don't have anything as colorful as that little guy here in Oregon. We are far from tropical.

Some I keep, some I return. If they are a species I happen to be after then I will keep them. I am starting colonies of some of them.

I went out this morning and got some leptolucania ommata (pygmy killifish). No pics, the camera is out of town at the moment. Could google them though, they are teeny tiny things, a true nano fish, and beautiful.

there's some sweet natives out that way also. I know somewhere in the SW there are gila topminnows, and there are several colorful darter species in the northern states. They just aren't popularized.

there's plenty of stuff in GA. do a google search for native freshwater fish of georgia.

I'm pretty sure AZ has gila topminnows among a few other species that are interesting, but it does seem like the biggest variety of colorful species seem to be focused on the southeast.

Back
Top Bottom