Any advice on how to take good fish pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ltimberl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tank with several fish and coral. For some reason I cant get a good picture. I am using a Fuji S5000 camera. Most of the issues seem to be with reflection off the tank, and color spectrum of the VHO light bulbs. I have attached a couple of the pics .

Additionally I wrote an article on what it takes to set up a 300 Gallon tank, and would like to post it.

I am new to both message boards and this forum. Any advice is welcome.

[/list]

The first question will best be answered in the Show Off/PHotography forum so im moving this there.

For the second point. Go ahead and post. :)

Your pics didnt come thru. They probably where greater than 100KB.

First you should not use the flash unless you can use a remote flash. Using the flash will cause a 'flashback' from the glass unless you position the flash at an angle. Your camera if its a digital model will have a setting to adjust the white balance. If you can manually set it then find some white in your tank and use that to calabrate your white balance.

I am using a Fuji S5000 camera.

Try the auto white balance or the flouresceant WB setting, or shoot in RAW and set it in conversion using PhotoShop CS RAW converter or s7RAW (free ;) ) forget the converter that came with your cam it sucks.

Agree with FF on the flash, but your cam doesn't have a manual WB setting, so you either gotta do it after the fact in RAW conversion, or find whatever comes closest.

To reduce room reflections on the tank take the picture with room light low or none. Dont point the camera straight front and center but off to the side a bit and at a angle. This will lower the amount of flash reflections.

Back
Top Bottom