Apistogramma sp. "Steel Blue"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He needs a girlfriend.

Just a heads up, my experience with dwarf cichlids and bettas is that it usually ends poorly. Keep an eye on 'em and make sure they play nice.

Yes he most certainly does! I actually have a question about that. I've been reading and have been led to believe females of his own kind are hard to come by. IF I can't find him a mate the same would he pair up with another apisto? I've never dealt with dwarf cichlids in my own tanks before.
And you noticed that :/ He's in my betta sorority tank until we move in two weeks. After that I'm doing a tank shuffle and he'll only have to share with some SAE and maybe a BNP.

The girls might mind their own business and/or be to busy minding the other female's business, so that may be better.

You would think that females would be equally common as males, but all to often you're right. Crossbreeding between apisto species isn't particularly common I believe. You see people popping up once in awhile claiming to have a hybrid, but I haven't seen any actually documented spawnings yet, leading me to think that the "hybrids" are just poorly colored normal offspring.

That's what I first thought about finding females. I've been reading that they don't even know where these guys came from. Some believe they are a hybrid out of Asia and others claim they where 'found' like this in the wild. I'm going to take some pictures in to the 'cichlid guy' at the LFS up the road from me and see if he has heard of them and can locate a female for me.
The betta girls are in their own little world. So I'm not overly concerned.

Talked to the guy up the road and his opinion is a hybrid of some sort. Looked up some info for me and suggested I get a female borelli, agassizi or ortmanni because he looks like he might be one of the three. He looks more borelli or agassizi to me. He also gave me the name of the supplier he thinks he came from.

Back
Top Bottom