Aquarium photography for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, there a lots of cool pictures floating around out there. What's the secret? I just have a normal "film" camera, you know the ones before digital cameras...anyway how do I get a decent photo out of it? I do have to stand at an angle to the tank to keep the flash from bouncing back? What type/speed of film is best? Should I have the room lights on or off? Devulge these secrets behind the great photos. Also, it think this would make a grand topic for an article written by one of the photo pros around here. :wink: Please help the photo-challenged people out there!

Well the first secret is the use of a digital camera. One of the reasons is that you know if you have a good photo right away. Trust me of all the great pics we have there are MANY that just dont stack up.

Get a tripod. Having a steady camera is the key and reguardless of how steady you hold it in your hand it cant beat a tripod. I use a cheap tripod from wal-mart. I think it was less than $30.

Have only the tank lights on. Most of us have very bright tank lights so we dont need a flash. Turning out the room lights and taking photos when its as dark as possible in the room is best.

One of the problems with film is that the higher the speed of the film the more grainy the photo will appear. I used to use 400 and 800 speed film but really did not like the results that much. Using an ISO of 100 or 200 would provide the least grainy photos but the use of a flash might be needed since I know you dont have the brightest of lights on your tank.

Wait for the photo to come to you. For fish that never stop moving its almost impossible to focus on them and snap off a photo with out it being blury. What you can do is prefocus the camera on a specific location. Then wait for the fish to swim into that area.

These are just a few hints. I think there is another thread on this subject ill try to dig up. It has a great link to a great set of hints on another site.

UPDATE: I could not find the link I was talking about. Reefrunner should still have the link to the other site.

Back
Top Bottom