Autumn's Zoo Med Paludarium Habitat Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Chinese money plant suffered some die off as it dried out pretty quickly 2 different times and didn't bounce back as I had hoped.

Really didn't expect to be so long before getting it built up and will likely be a number of days out since I do not know yet how I can stealthily have the filter and easily be able to get it out. Once it is so fully planted with the cork and vines and pockets of plants, will possibly have to be sure to leave a wide space in front and on one side for the sliding it in and out.

The front door comes open but I am not sure how that works yet. Have to check it out!

You need to call in sick one day and play hooky and pull this together.

Nice pics can wait to see it growing.

Hmm, good point about the algae look on black.

Last night I went to the local big box store to see, if by chance they had the plain cork stick on background, no.

But I got a bag of ~2-3 inches around by 1.5-5 inch long natural gnarly twisted knotted pieces of grapevine wood, 9 pieces. $5.99 One turned out to be a bigger one, 6 inches with a 3 inch 90 degree elbow and 2 are just like a bit more than 1 inch chunks. I saved .30 with price matching, lol! Good buy overall with some choices.

Will look into the background more on the weekend. :)

:)
Got some leaves ordered,
Black Guava 50
Jackfruit 20 leaves,
and banana leaves ~200.

Am hoping for a few other misc. things but this should be good for now. I might be able to collect a few out in the woods after the cold winter lets up.

Also found the 12"x12" Zoo Med cork tile background on sale so paid 10.98 instead of 15.98. It was a toss up as the 12x12 rock style background was also $10. I figured it would be more woods jungle style so cork would be good.

The base platform tray makes the visible space on back about 13" so not a big deal to be off an inch, as I will probably have it all covered with plants and stuff anyway. Should magically appear / be delivered on Sunday.
https://zoomed.com/natural-cork-tile-background/

Haha, probably 3x more than I should. To be fair, I have a 46G bowfront just sitting empty, just in case I get super inspired and want to go bigger. Have to move a bunch of stuff around to get a good position in the house if that ever happens.

For the present will be happy for this little, and I mean little guy to get running.

Plant cuttings are sitting in the window in about 6 vases getting a rotating amount of extra light on them - waiting to get into some tanks!

Also need to decide which stand/ table to put this on.

Under the SW nano 6.6G is a black acrylic hex stand - no door or storage but I think it might be okay. This tank is combining into a single larger SW unit with the other SW nano within the next month (I am hoping).

Then there is a butcher block stand under the 12G Edge (which is also moving to the 12G SW nano's stand.

This leaves the 2 stands above as ultimately not being needed. And can slide one of them off to something else to use one now, or just wait till later I guess. hmmm.

Should be getting the waterfall tube tomorrow too!

Got the waterfall tubing in 3 sizes in case one pump size doesn't work I can try the other.

Picked up some new houseplant starts, and a new grass for the Paludarium, looks like a miniature variegated Spider plant 3" tall. Have pics, but not loaded yet.

Also a pack of cocoNoir little pots, have pics to load.

Cut 2 to plant a few of the plants which prefer a bit of soil. And soaked.

Soaked the New Zealand sphagnum moss.

And soaked part of the compressed hunk of "soil" which is ground coco noir. Have pics of it all.

Magically amazon dropped off the Zoo Med background on the porch this morning arrived in 2 days, on Sunday. Free shipping :)

Looked it over and glued it on with the Aquarium Silicone. Tested after a few hours and it says to wait 24 to put water or build. But it was stuck on tight!

Weighted it down with 2 full gallon jugs and the dragon stone.

Will try to get it mock laid out, but have a bunch of things to do tomorrow. Actual building will likely have to wait till next Friday. At least I can get the pics added in the next few days.

Decided to not use the Dragon stone as it was looking over-sized for the little tank. It wasn't really purchased for this tank, just because it looked so nice and colorful.

I have a large collection of Southwestern mostly, petrified wood stones, maybe 70 to choose from and think it will look better.

Sorry for the delays everyone, progress is being made though.

Side question about the UVB light. Not good for fish? Does it matter, I can get an additional bulb to replace it. I won't have a turtle or lizard.

Side question about the UVB light. Not good for fish? Does it matter, I can get an additional bulb to replace it. I won't have a turtle or lizard.

Many reef tanks, including mine, have light fixtures that include a fair amount of true UV spectrum. Fish have never been negatively affected by it in my experience. Even though it won't hurt your fish, if you're not going to have any reptiles that require the UV, I would just replace the bulb with like a 6500K plant bulb to get more light in there.

The background now seems a bit short. Intend to add some black tape at the top which can not be seen easily, but will disguise the gap.

The bottom gap will be able to be covered with cork pieces and plants.

As I started to move things around inside the tank it is really difficult to fit things the way I would like.

Wondering about the provided platform which is a at first seemingly not too big but fitting in everything else, not so good.

The also provided in the set "cork flat" is really "large" in the small space - over sized. It might be just medium sized but it is large.

Then I was wondering if turning it to the left side of the tank perhaps instead of along the back. And wondering if there would be a way to move the bracket in the front, towards the middle and get it away from the front/ out of sight.

Also I just thought of turning the platform on the side / like a capital letter C or [ and putting the tray on top of that. It would leave the middle open.

This is the part of the "build" I do not like to do. I just want to get to the planting and arranging.

The Chinese money plant suffered some die off as it dried out pretty quickly 2 different times and didn't bounce back as I had hoped.

Really didn't expect to be so long before getting it built up and will likely be a number of days out since I do not know yet how I can stealthily have the filter and easily be able to get it out. Once it is so fully planted with the cork and vines and pockets of plants, will possibly have to be sure to leave a wide space in front and on one side for the sliding it in and out.

The front door comes open but I am not sure how that works yet. Have to check it out!
I really can't wait to see this when you are done with it. I love the look of them, I'm a not skilled enough to care for one yet. Plus my place is a one bedroom apartment with 17 fish tanks in it. I just picked up a free 30 gallon tank with it's filter and cover and light all for 30 bucks last night. Now my mystery snails will have a better grow out tank I will not have to do a 75% daily water change for them.

Back
Top Bottom