Autumnsky's Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Just getting started here with this one.

Was given tank from DD who found it at the Goodwill store and it was originally 9.99 but was either 40 or 50% off so she paid at most $6. Has lid, light and pump with extra media for filter sponge and 2 bottles of API tap conditioner and one Accu-clear.

I was downsizing tanks so didn't know what I would do with it but who can pass up a deal like that!???

Near new looking, here was the "dirty", not cleaned filter
60074-albums14621-picture70799.jpg

Here is the first though of a DW (DW reference letter A) I had, and I am not really liking how large it is, but decided to post it for comparison sake for the next option(s)
60074-albums14621-picture70808.jpg

Has previously used by me, Garnet sand as well.

Feel free to chime in and share your Spec V experiences, show your tank or join the discussion!

60074-albums14621-picture70798.jpg

Last edited:
B)
This is the other piece which is really amazing, I used it in the Edge 12G the first 2 times I scaped it, but not this last time. It sinks now on its own so do not need rocks any longer.
60074-albums13090-picture64837.jpg

This shot is why I think it needs a tall tank so something wonderful like this can happen again.

60074-albums13090-picture68690.jpg

Otherwise I have a
C) 10" piece that looks like a large log with some moss on it

OR
D) a piece with Java Fern all over the top of it and looks nice and bushy, already to go - no grow out needed. (From the Tangerine Tiger shrimp tank)

OR
E) a big 2" thick slab like, nearly rectangular burled hunk of Mopani wood that the Upside Down Cat hides under

<3 Fun thing I noticed about the giant branching log in there now, is that the Riccia which is growing in a breeder hang on side of tank net (to keep it out of the filter), started to grow on the side of the log because it was floating next to the container and some got out. I can never get that stuff to grow!!! Handfulls of the stuff over the years just disappears. Kinda pleased to see that actually grow onto something.

Last edited:
Way too many options! Good luck deciding.

Ask your significant other or trusted friend their preference. Then if you don't like it later it's their fault. [emoji12]

Just tried the tree/ forest look, interesting using DW "D". There is SOOOO much Java Fern on there it looks like a big huge bush, lol. Added 2 more "trees" small ones where you can also see the trunks. I just plunked them down to get an idea how it might work.

Not thinking I feel the space is deep enough to be a forest. I like the one tree though that looks like it has a big trunk.

I just broke the plug for the light ugh! I was pulling the plug out of the extension cord and it was a brand new extension and it was in there very tight. I just gave it a big yank and pulled the 2 halves apart slightly and it was still on. I had to unplug it and wiggle it around, and it snapped back in but now isn't working, so I must have wiggled the wire off :/ Brutus!

Maybe gonna need to buy a new plug or whole light if the cost is similar!

Last edited:
Just tried the tree/ forest look, interesting using DW "D". There is SOOOO much Java Fern on there it looks like a big huge bush, lol. Added 2 more "trees" small ones where you can also see the trunks. I just plunked them down to get an idea how it might work.

Not thinking I feel the space is deep enough to be a forest. I like the one tree though that looks like it has a big trunk.

I just broke the plug for the light ugh! I was pulling the plug out of the extension cord and it was a brand new extension and it was in there very tight. I just gave it a big yank and pulled the 2 halves apart slightly and it was still on. I had to unplug it and wiggle it around, and it snapped back in but now isn't working, so I must have wiggled the wire off :/ Brutus!

Maybe gonna need to buy a new plug or whole light if the cost is similar!

I would set least try the light in a different power outlet first. I have a power board that often doesn't make the connection to things you plug in. I'm not sure why I haven't thrown it away. With any luck you might just have a slightly useless new power board.

Very nice tanks. I jus got a spec v from CL for free. Took the fish from the spec v to LFS got like 13 dollars store credtit. Need a replacement pump for it though

Nope!

The pump works great.

- Thanks Alan the extension plug was bad. Wierd - it has 2 sides and one side was bad. Brand new extension plug.

And the light works now too since it was plugged into the bad plug.

Thinking about some nice duct tape for the plug to keep it in one piece!

King, try soaking the pump in vinegar and warm water for a day and then maybe some baking soda sprinkled over when you are getting ready to do the big rinse. Maybe.

I like that big log in the first photo. I know it's a bit big but I think I could use it in a tank on the filing cabinet where looking up slightly. Looking forward to seeing how whatever you pick turns out.

King, try soaking the pump in vinegar and warm water for a day and then maybe some baking soda sprinkled over when you are getting ready to do the big rinse. Maybe.
Will do that today as soon as I get up lol it's freezing outside here in Texas 22° ??thanks completly forgot about that

Well felt like I needed to try something extra here... really hated looking at the empty version.

The Java fern bush which looks crazy leafy now used to be a like tree a year and a half ago. lol It might need a trimming?!

Having to run off to work when I'd rather play with the tank scape.

60074-albums14621-picture70811.jpg

Hooke up the light and the filter pump and it works great now.

The pic is cloudy as the filter had just come on and I had just moved the sand around from front to back to give it a quick look for some depth.

Like it except needs more stones and a trim on the bushy tree. I have a few more DW branches I could scrounge up, and further this option a little.

Also getting a bunch of Java Windelov from a member so might work that in here this next week.

Back
Top Bottom