Badis badis Bengalensis, Dario dario, Badis badis "Scarlet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
My camera only had macro OR no flash, but I think I ended up with some nice pics :)

4795088434_865c35d059_b.jpg

4794455971_09d1c8e0eb_b.jpg

Forever buddies :D

4794455917_c14c781840_b.jpg

4795088298_73f67637e0_b.jpg

4785178807_025925bbc6_b.jpg

Random SAE group hug

4795088258_c21ee0de2d_b.jpg

Those are some beautiful fish! :) I really like the badis, I was actually contemplating some until I found out they are picky lol.

I was exaggerating a little because I was worried about 2 fish that wouldn't eat, and they're in fish heaven now :(

It's almost a relief that they're gone though, because I spent two weeks trying really hard to keep them alive, and the first died within like 4 days of buying, and the second around 2 weeks. The remaining are pretty "reasonable" to care for (I have 7 in a 10 gallon, and I'm ready to split them if any aggression happens) and they're eating well. They love mosquito larvae (I have a 10 gallon outside that I harvest every night, and I'm running out of larvae ><) They eat frozen bloodworms, but after 2-3 they're stuffed, and sometimes you see them with a half swallowed bloodworm sticking out, and them struggling to get it all in (sometimes with the larger mosquito larvae, the head is a challenge for them). Right now I'm trying frozen cyclops, but they're smaller than I thought. I'm thinking half way between a brine shrimp and a cyclops will be a good size, so maybe a mysis shrimp? I'm sure the cyclops are fine, but they seem to enjoy the wormy goodness a little more, but I just don't like seeing them struggle like that. (it looks like hyperventilating, and if the worm is big enough, they struggle to swim :p) Pig is a good describer

Btw, those nasty blobs in the SAE pics aren't floating debris, they're bubbles ><

I have kept them I didn't have any problem feeding them the only thing I found with them was if there isn't a mix of 1 male per female they don't do well especially if you have more males than females
2 females squabbling in the first picture

Attachments

• dsc0102e.jpg
    dsc0102e.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 136
  • dsc_0510.jpg
    dsc_0510.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 139
  • dsc_0114.jpg
    dsc_0114.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 161
Frozen daphnia is the food for you I think. It's what I treat my fish to every once in awhile.

I'm having trouble finding females right now, since most importers only send out the males. I'm looking for someone more local with females, but I haven't had any luck yet.

its super hard to get females since they have no color. yours look great though.

Thanks, I'm hoping to get some from this site I found (www.msjinkzd.com) or from Forsynth :)D) hopefully before the summer is over.

There seems to be 2-3 dominant males in my 10 right now (the really bright red ones) and the rest are either submissive males or colorful females. What makes me want to believe that they are females is this thread

Elusive female Scarlet Badis (dario)

It shows pictures of a pair, and they both look like males. Since these fish have been around for like 12 years now, maybe selective breeding has caused the females to gain color, or maybe I'm just being wishful... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom