Bristlenose Fry (updated 6/26)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angry the Clown

Aquarium Advice Activist
In another thread, I posted that I found an unexpected bristlenose pl*co fry in my tank yesterday. Today I found a few more, at least seven in there, probably more that I haven't seen due to the mass of plants on my tank! I may try to catch one for some super macro photos if I have time. Here are a few picture of the fry:

This guy is hanging out in the backside of a powerhead
baby_alb_brstl_1.jpg

The plant in this photo is a dwarf sag, just to give you an idea of size. It is cool to watch their hearts beating and the blood flowing.
baby_alb_brstl_2.jpg

Through eighteen inches of water, on the backside of the tank
baby_alb_brstl_3.jpg

===================================================================

Update as of today.

While cleaning the fry's setup, I thought I would snap a few new photos. They are all growing so much, and they all look great! No new sightings of any others, so I am guessing this is the full haul.

I was having a hard time with this pic, holding the Gladware to get them all in the corner so they would all be in one picture.
baby_plecos_040707.jpg

Nice lineup!
baby_plecos_long_040707.jpg

Close-up!
baby_plecos_tall_040707.jpg

==============

Edited 6/26

Thought I would post some new photos of a few bristlenose fry (can I call them that anymore?) They are growing slowly, but they seem to be fat and happy. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the male is on another set of eggs right now. :D

DSC_0387a.jpg

DSC_0388a.jpg

DSC_0389a.jpg

neilanh said:
Why pl*co instead of pleco?
I read something about that a while ago. There is some superstition about not spelling out pleco, or the pleco will die...Sorry I can't remember the details.

I heard the same superstition, but I also understand it is used due to the pronunciation:

pl-e-kO (pl-echO)

plEEK-o

I dunno... just riding the wave. Thanks for the kind words! :D

*CLAP* *CLAP* E! C! O! And Pleco was his Name-O!

Oh crap, I spelled it at the end there, didn't I?

~History of the Pl*co story~

Early days of internet forums, message boards were pretty plain. Pleco owner posts a braggadocious statement about his Pleco and the next day, it was dead. Pleco owner comes back online, begins substituting the 'e' with an asterisk in every pleco message in honor of the pleco and it catches on.

True story? Probably, I did find it at the Krib once and we all know how long the Krib has been around.

Back
Top Bottom