Can anyone ID my pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygirl87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pleco which was sold to me without explaining about their size issues they knew what size tank I have. I am going to upgrade my tank at Xmas. I have 48l, do you think my pleco will be okay until then? He is 2" now and I am doing regular water changes. Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• image-2057807828.jpg
    image-2057807828.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 196
Guppygirl87 said:
I have a pleco which was sold to me without explaining about their size issues they knew what size tank I have. I am going to upgrade my tank at Xmas. I have 48l, do you think my pleco will be okay until then? He is 2" now and I am doing regular water changes. Please help. Thanks

Common pleco, given proper care it will grow quite large. It will be alright in a small tank with good care for a little while, but it will outgrow anything less than a 500l tank, and really would be better kept in a tank larger than that.
I'd swap it off for a bristlenose asap, those stay much smaller and are easier to get along with in general.

I agree about it being a common pleco. I also agree about 125g being the tank minimum for one of these guys. Honestly, its not ideal to keep him in there until Christmas, but it would be ok IMO.

just an fyi, I had the same fish I bought from petsmart. about 6 months he grew from 3" to 6", and I believe they can grow up to 21"s. I got rid of him at 6"s since I have small turtles and I thought he was intimidating them, nor did i think he would of grew so quickly. he grew fast in my 155 bowed.

Yes he's now in my new tank and doing well. Me and my 5yr old daughter have named him num nums :)

He will be fine x-mas is only a month away. What I really recommend is just taking him back, its incredibly impressive how fast they grow.

I got the tank early he's got plenty of space and web he gets bigger I may upgrade again. :)

I have to swap mine out for Bristlenose too. My tiny baby Pleco is at 4" and Mr Bigg is almost 7". I really don't want anything that huge lurking around. lol

Back
Top Bottom