Delapool's 150 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tetras are going great - tank to themselves and enough of them to keep them out of mischief.

Tiger barbs are gradually dwindling away - seems like one gets harassed, then the next one, etc. Maybe I’ll try a stress free school of plastic fish next :)

Last edited:
Rosy or cherry barbs I’m thinking I’ll try a school of. Need something near surface but won’t get picked on. Tetras don’t seem to last in this one.

I was never happy with any barbs I tried. Always chasing and fighting. I have been happy with my Dwarf Neon Rainbows.

Hmmm - maybe rainbows could be the go.

I’d like to add some really tall plants at back so could grab something next visit.

Someone gave me fish one time when I went to buy a small tank (I didn't want them but they pleaded for their lives, saying they would die there,) and there was a very nice Cherry Barb. It was a male and never bothered the other fish. Never kept a big group of them. Very colorful.

The Rainbow fish are a great suggestion.

One of my favorite long plants is Crypt Balansae. The leaves are crinkly and they are long and flow in the water, gorgeous.

Sigh - so both Tunz CO2 diffusers had the tube pop off the powerhead last week. Solved with a ‘temporary’ rubber band to hold it all together. Got back home last night about 8pm from work and one of the blockheads has one of the rubber bands hanging out of his mouth. Promptly vanished in the weeds (er, planted tank). So this weekend will be trying to track him down to retrieve it. Plastic plants, plastic fish - life would be simpler :)

Thought that rubber band was a worm by golly. Like little kids, can't turn around for a minute. My 2yo grandson, while I was standing for just a few minutes back to him with the other GS, less than 2 meters away, colored 2 huge scribble circles, in 2 colors - one for each hand, ambidextrous, on the newish hardwood floor. Luckily they were water removeable, and we both will live another day.

Good luck in retrieving the fish. Who says, I didn't eat the giant worm, honest. I hope you can save him from himself.

And hope the repair in the tank works without the need of a rubber band.

Yes, I’ll have to think of something different other then rubber bands. Or maybe a really thick unbreakable one haha.

It was almost a sigh of relief to read the floor and not a fish tank had crayon on it :) good news it came off ok.

Been awhile since last post [emoji2] picked up some ambulia to try growing at back of tank. Pruned the Java fern to stop it taking over and hard to see but the room has been painted (just enough space for roller on pole). Gave up on the idea of a undersea feature wall behind tank until rest of rooms done.

Ph pen was 6.68 and ph probe was 6.63 so happy there (and fish happy). New nitrates test kit barely registered so will add more ferts and see if working. Ditched a bunch of kits that expired in 2018 [emoji28]

768b9b3ee0512febcfe1f07e78c620cf.jpg

Very nice. Good call on tank to wall spacing for painting!
Barely can see the Ambulia from the side view, how are you liking it? It is one of my favorites. And this reminds me, I don't even have any!

I think it should do well (hopefully!). Last time it grew like a weed under high light and I got sick of it (and I find it browns off if micro-ferts are too high on dosing).

It’s been more moderate growth under medium light so hoping to get a curtain of it at back of tank.

Thinking of ordering new bulbs in February though haha. These ones must be several years old.

End of week results had nitrates about 10 to 20ppm (least I know kit is working now :) ) and phosphate was 0.5ppm. Thought that would be higher but bit too bad.

Tank looks very cool - have any more pictures of the front? Also, I see you have angel fish - do you enjoy/ recommend keeping them? I’m planning a new biocube32 freshwater and debating how to stock. One of the options I’m considering would be a pair of angelfish. Thanks for sharing and the advice!

Few tank shots. The Java fern has been pruned back. The bolbitis fern has melted yet again on high micro ferts, liquid carbon or possibly just the flipping dog next door barking. Does ok in low tech tank but has never liked this setup. Annoying as it does well for 3 months and no algae then something upsets it. Runners have spread over most of tank so I’ll keep it and maybe do low tech discus one day....

d0f5ec8258eb1a22c1ed1cb9d8a346d2.jpg

06509f3a89f075a0213b67acd314b52e.jpg

6b96a9b1f916611232d465f4ae51ce59.jpg

Tank looks very cool - have any more pictures of the front? Also, I see you have angel fish - do you enjoy/ recommend keeping them? I’m planning a new biocube32 freshwater and debating how to stock. One of the options I’m considering would be a pair of angelfish. Thanks for sharing and the advice!

Sure thing (runs off to do water change and clean tank :) ).

I quite like angel fish - nice colours and cheaper than discus. Mostly get along with everything except not trusted with tetras or baby fish. I’ve only had them in larger setups though with plenty of plants. I keep looking at discus but they are expensive here.

Sure thing (runs off to do water change and clean tank :) ).

I quite like angel fish - nice colours and cheaper than discus. Mostly get along with everything except not trusted with tetras or baby fish. I’ve only had them in larger setups though with plenty of plants. I keep looking at discus but they are expensive here.

looks GREAT! Yeah I’m not sure there is enough swimming room for angels in BioCube... back to the mixed bag community haha.. thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom