DSLR users, looking for input!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so here is the deal. I am a Nikon user of many years though always film and never digital. I have always been happy with my Nikon products and want to move into the DSLR world with one. I've been looking at the D60 and it seems to fit all my needs/wants. The new D90 just doesn't offer enough extra stuff to warrant nearly double the price.

With that said are there any D60 owners out there that can offer some hands on experience with the camera? Do you have the standard 18-55mm lens? Did you buy any other lenses? If so what did you get and how does it perform for you?

Thanks for any input!

Just so you know, The D40 and D50 were a very nice series. You could probably get a used one with lenses for less than a new D60.

Just so you know, The D40 and D50 were a very nice series. You could probably get a used one with lenses for less than a new D60.

I agree and I have looked at the D40 D50 and D80, the D60 works best for me size and feel. I've thought about buying used but with this kind of investment I would rather buy new and not have to worry about other peoples abuse.

Thanks for the reply!

I think you will want a macro lens for fish pics. I have the 18-55mm lens for my D80, but it doesn't have the macro capabilities that I wanted. I have a 60mm macro made my Nikon, but if the Tamron 90mm macro would work on a D60, then that is what I would suggest.

Nikon SLR film guy here too...

I got the D40 a year or so ago. Sooooo nice to have the SLR "feel" back again after having a digital point and shoot for 7 years. While I don't have the D60, I'll give you my thoughts on the D40 which is just a lower res version of the D60.

Buy it. Period. (How's that?!)

But seriously, it's what you'd expect from Nikon. The shooting speed without flash is so quick, it's incredible. You really can't miss a shot with this camera. Any person with a pulse can take a fantastic picture. The camera is more or less "on", even when you have the switch in the "off" position, so it's nearly instantaneous to turn on and shoot - no lag time waiting for the thing to really come on. Battery life is exceptional (lithium ion). The flash is pretty powerful from such a tiny little thing. And the "stock" wide/normal zoom lense on it is really nice. I expected to get the telephoto zoom right off the bat, but was happy enough with this one that I still haven't gotten around to it.

As far as aquarium shots go, it's worked great for me. Minimum focus for most of my shots puts my lense right on the glass, so it's not like I can get any closer. And the image stabilization in the lense is great... you can get some great shots down to under 1/30th of a second. Try that with film!

I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it.

I like my D60. Had a D70 for a few years, but it had some nagging issues which the 60 does not. The rest (D60 vs. D40 vs. the others) is simply a question of budget.

As for pics, I agree with Kristin's post above; the stock 18-55 is a very versatile lens, but doesn't do all I need it to. I'm posting two pics in the FW breeding section which show my newly hatched cory fry; the pics were taken with a D60 using the Tamron 90/2.8 macro. They're top-down through moving water, because of the breeding net I have the fry in, and so not super-sharp; but they should give you an idea of the magnification possible. Also the 18-55 has quite a bit of 'barrel' distortion at the wide end; whether that matters is up to you.

Thanks for the review Kurt!!

I guess once you've owned a couple of Nikon's it's hard to change to something else.

I'm glad to hear the 18-55mm lens has worked well for you. I have the 28-80mm on my N45 and it works well. I've been looking at a few of the macro lenses, the 105mm is more then the camera so that one is out! I may swing for the 60mm macro. I'd like something that has a 1:1 ratio and I can get that with the 60mm. Who knows...still trying to make my mind up.

Thanks again for the input!!

Well I am not the proud owner of a Nikon D60. I got it yesterday and have a TON to learn about the camera. Figures I would get something smarter then I am.

LET IT BEGIN!!!

Nice Easter present ;0 if you have questions about your D60, send me a PM, I can probably look at mine and figure it out.

You have had the camera some time now, how do you like it and more importantly, let's see some pics.

I am a long time Nikon film guy too, I have a N90s that I love. In November I made the plung in to the DSLR world and bought a D300. That camera is amazing. The only problem is, my wife wanted to use it all the time and she is new to photography. So for Christmas I bought her a D60. It is a great camera for her as it doesn't have all the setting my D300 has. I have 9 lenses and the great thing is that both cameras can use them, she just has to manually focus the 70-300mm as the D60 doesn't have an internal motor. So far, it has been a great camera.

I love the camera! I'm still learning it and searching for a nice macro lens that isn't going to break the bank.

There are lots of pictures from the D60 on my thread about my tank.

Back
Top Bottom