Dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my 5 gallon tank that houses two dwarf puffers. What do you guys think? I am fully aware of the 1 DP to 5 gallon rule, however, having overfiltration and numerous water changes, plus plants, etc. I felt I could put in two. With two ottos. They are doing good so far.

Attachments

• DSCF6507.jpg
    DSCF6507.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 1,346
I think the 1 per 5gal rule is primarily because of their temperment rather than bioload, but I've never kept them so I can't say.

Either way, I like the tank, looks great and gives me ideas of what to do with my Chi with the broken filter.

Good luck. I hope these puff are more healthy than your previous DP.

Keep up with the water change and clean the tank well. Ever since I put my DP in a 6 gallon bowfront (weak filtration), I been doing 20% pwc every other day because it poops a lot. I don't trust these nano tanks no matter how established it may be.

My newest puffer stopped eating, next day he died. I don't understand.. my other puffer showed no aggression to him.... the next day, my otto died... I did a 50 percent or so water change and so far everything else is fine. I guess I am done with adding fish for this tank. I hate to leave them to themselves, but my little girl puffer and one otto just may have to be alone... Honestly, I think I may be done buying fish from the pet store I get them from... only 1 out of the 4 or so I bought from that store died form just not eating... they are usually very skinny when I buy them too.. think I just got lucky with the girl I got.. Kinda sucks that she hides a lot... I almost never see her unless she is looking for food.. The other puffer I had would swim around and not be afraid of me.

Just some background info, I do follow the 50 percent water change once a week, in fact I sometimes do about 40 percent change twice a week.. or just gravel clean. I tested the water yesterday and it all seems fine except for having high ph levels in both my 5 gallons.

Your tank may look nice, but try adding more stuff to the tank if you want 2 DP in that tiny tank. Fill up the tank as much as possible. All the way to the top and front areas of the tank too. Visual complexity might help the tank feel bigger and relieve territorial stress.

My DP was super skinny when I got her. She is still recovering but still not round yet. I fill her tank up and she explores every place imaginable. She still hides from me though :(

i had two dps in my 10g about two days later one died. my other is doing very well though, she shares her tank with a khuli loach and 3 otos. also try feeding the oto sliced cucumber mine go nuts for those

I am getting more plants in the mail so hopefully it will help territory issues.

I actually found my dp died so I'm giving it one last chance, got some DPs in my long 5 gallon, waiting for plants to come in. kinda sad, she was my favorite one...I think she was stressed,. Or had cotton/fungus... Not sure, kinda looked like it though.. RIP little puffer..

I actually found my dp died so I'm giving it one last chance, got some DPs in my long 5 gallon, waiting for plants to come in. kinda sad, she was my favorite one...I think she was stressed,. Or had cotton/fungus... Not sure, kinda looked like it though.. RIP little puffer..
Sad day. I'm sorry about your fishy.:nono:

Back
Top Bottom