Finally Identified

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trisomy21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Say Hi to Professor Chaos, my Green Sunfish! Had trouble identifying this one
as he was purchased accidentally with feeder goldfish :\ Was told he was an "Assorted Peacock Cichlid" ...But I was never really sure on that one.
Looks like I might have to buy yet ANOTHER tank. Got him in the 35 now.

img_1033519_0_309f76ce20e18532a05e3904025b43ed.jpg

img_1033519_1_16fc63b47a8d8b9ac3f06e38d040388d.jpg

Green sunfish are awesome when they get the bright orange are their fins. I used to keep a couple, they have a little attitude too, kinda cute :D

Are you positive that's what he is though? Doesn't quite look like the juvies I had.

Greenies are supposed to be about the nastiest sunfish. I've seen them beat up on bass twice their size. This one looks like it might be a hybrid of some sort.

The picture quality kind of sucks, especially the second, he does looks nearly identical to the pic below. I'll get more as he grows, which shouldn't be too hard because they are voracious.

Any idea for good tank mates? I've got him with two female kenyii, they seem to get along well enough. I've heard people keeping them with convicts.
Also looking to get yet another tank because these guys get pretty big.

Oddbal1389.jpg

I used some to cycle a 120g, had one that was around 6.5-7" if I recall correctly and a bunch of small ones. Well he ended up eating all of the small ones over the course of around 2 weeks. I tried him with other tank mates (other perch and rock bass) during those two weeks and he beat on them pretty badly. To the point I found homes for all the others except for him. I wanted to keep him as he looked stunning, even stressed he was stunning. Well the tank cycled and was ready for my Dovii, Keep in mind the Green Sunfish had been established in the tank for over a month by now. Well unfortunately within 20 minutes the Dovii killed the Green Sunfish. I guess my point is you almost need to keep them alone. They will beat on other fish, you can add more aggressive fish but that will resort in a death as well.

This is a pic of the one I had. This is how it looked stressed, when I caught him it's fins were bright orange. Easily my favorite sunfish.

img_1034007_0_b8a18bad1765fb67f79f4e355f19dc44.jpg

Yeah looks a lot like mine but yours has better coloring. Hopefully his new diet will help with that. I'm looking for my next tank to be a bigger, native one, perhaps him growing up with goldfish and almost being Oscar bait gave him a bit of an attitude adjustment haha.

I was thinking the exact same thing. In Florida you see sunfish all the time. A common native fish.

Yeah see them everywhere in Canada too, mostly the pumpkinseed ones in the lakes I've fished.

Back
Top Bottom