First plants I got to turn red.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's some plants I finally got to turn red.

Parameters:
10G tank, 2 25W CF bulbs, CO2 run into the HOB filter intake.
Temp: 79
ph 6.8 after CO2
kh 70
gh 140
Dose minimal nitrates, phosphates, and potassium and traces.
Weekly 70% PWC
No fish in tank.
Only livestock is Aquatic Worms, ramshorn snails, pond snails, and MTS.

Here's some pics...
10g142.jpg

10g143.jpg

10g144.jpg

10g145.jpg

10g146.jpg

They get red in high light. Also, keeping my nitrates lower is helping, and having no fish, makes dosing more accurate, as you don't have to guess your bioload. And this is under 25W screw-in CF's with CO2 added.

I believe if there was more light, the whole plant will go red. I really don't have what you would call high light. But it is high light at the surface.

drobertson said:
You say your PH is 6.8 after CO2.
My question is, How does CO2 effect the PH?

Injecting CO2 lowers your ph. The higher your CO2 levels, the lower the ph will be. In my 75G, I drive my ph down to about 6.2 with CO2. Same with my 29G. My non-planted tanks are 7.2-7.4 usually, occasionally gets to 7.0. But usually 7.2. Then from there in my planted tanks, the CO2 drives it to 6.2. I've gone a bit lower, but then saw the fish somewhat acting funny, then lowered my CO2 levels back to around 30-50ppm. The fish didn't seem to like it at around 100ppm, lol.

drobertson said:
CO2 bonds with water atoms (H2O) to form Carbonic Acid (H2CO3) same stuff as in acid rain for the most part! :? i love Science! 8) at least i think that is probably what is happening :?

For shame LWB, you knew you could have done this long ago. Nitrate deprivation causes the affect in most plants. The trick has always been how to balance it so it doesn't bottom out.

Congrats dude, nice job. (y)

JDogg said:
drobertson said:
CO2 bonds with water atoms (H2O) to form Carbonic Acid (H2CO3) same stuff as in acid rain for the most part! :? i love Science! 8) at least i think that is probably what is happening :?
\

Yes/No... for the most part CO2 will not bond to water to form carbonic acid. Carbonic acid is one acid that is not stable and dissociates into water and CO2. This is in a constant equilibrium (the formation and dissociation of carbonic acid) in a water solution where CO2 is present. It may be the case that more than 99% of the CO2 molecules are not reacting with water molecules but it is that small portion of molecules that ARE reacting that causes the pH to be lowered by the formation of carbonic acid.

Jchillin said:
For shame LWB, you knew you could have done this long ago. Nitrate deprivation causes the affect in most plants. The trick has always been how to balance it so it doesn't bottom out.

Congrats dude, nice job. (y)

And no algae other than the Greenwater that keeps coming back, lol.......

CaysE said:
Lonewolfblue said:
2 25W Screwin bulbs. 6700k
What bulbs specifically? I can't find any screw-in CF bulbs above 10W that are white.

Here's the bulbs I have. They used to carry them at Walmart, but no longer do, so I've had to search for them online. These are the 20W bulbs. They also have 25W bulbs you can order too. You'll just need CO2 with them or you will get algae. I've been running my 20W bulbs almost 6 months, and not a spot of algae yet. Just do my proper dosing, and all's fine. But even with dosing the 25W bulb tank, algae comes on fast when I turn the CO2 off for any extended period.

2220-2VP - Lights of America 20 watt fluorescent bright bulb (2-pack)
http://www.esplighting.com/bulbs.html

You are awesome! I was trying to find those bulbs at Loews and Home Depot tonight with no luck. Thanks!

Esra said:
Yeah i was going to ask.
How do you make a plant go red?

In addition to insufficient lighting and nitrate deficiency, I have found iron deficiency to also keep plants from getting as red as they should. This is especially true of Cryptocoryne wendtii "red" in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom