German Blue Rams (GBR)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

posleen103

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here are a few pics of my GBRs.

Attachments

• SAM_0767.jpg
    SAM_0767.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 184
  • SAM_0769.jpg
    SAM_0769.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 185
  • SAM_0770.jpg
    SAM_0770.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_0801.jpg
    SAM_0801.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 152
Looks good! How long have you had them? They colored up nicely already. More than any of the ones I got from the LFS's around here. If you can find a good stock they are really nice fish. Unfortunately it seems most are not of the best quality.

I've had them for about 4 months, I just sold my first batch of juvies from the spawning. I"ve found that keep them at 78-82 keeps them happy and more colored. Also these get fed brine shrimp, Daphna, freeze dried blood worms and flakes.

Lighting is also key. I have a grow bulb and an antic blue bulb in there set up. The blue really brings out fish colors.

Last edited:
The plants don't seem to be liking the actinic bulb but the fish look amazing. I just noticed the koi angel in the first pic. Very nice looking fish!

Actually I just cleared out 3/4s of the plants.. it was over grown. I then planted towards the back of the tank to open more up. The plants look a little bad at the bottom cause they weren't getting any light.

Ah ok. I was just looking at the ones with the tips reabsorbed and yellowing. Definite nutrient deficiency.

Fish > Plants. :) That's my motto at least. ;)

I have one big angel in 332 litre tank and added three smaller angel fish 3 days ago. The reason I bought smaller ones is because the big angel is actually a bit of a softy and has been bullied in the past by other angel the same size as him. This is why I added 3 angel fish smaller than him. The big angel has ganged up with one of the three smaller ones and they together bully the other 2. Any ideas on what to do? I heard having 6 angels helps establish pairs...

What kind of sturcture does your tank have? Angels will pair up and kind of establish a school. 1 Angel will always be the one getting picked on, he needs some structure, drift wood and or plants to escape. In general 1 angel will be boss, if you have one very aggressive angel then a school of 6 may be needed to spread out the aggression. I only have the pair of 2 in that tank and then 4 more in another 40. My second group of 4 dosn't really have a very dominant or boss angel in it yet.

If the angels have just been introduced it takes a few days for the hierarchy to settle in. After that the aggression should go down.

Got massive bit of driftwood in there and loads of plants, it is like a jungle in my tank, loads of hiding spaces. Yeah your advice is much appreciated. Thanks mate!

Amazing colors, I was always scared to get GBR because of their sensitivity, but I think I might actually consider getting them soon!

Back
Top Bottom