Golden Yellow shrimps in Sulawesi aqaurium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igor.kanshyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Look at my yellow shrimps:
resourceGetter.action

others pictures of yellow shrimps are here. There are some videos of yellow shrimps here.

They live in 20 gallon Sulawesi aquarium (video).

I hope you like them :)

Awww, I mis-read the title of the thread and thought that you were showing us pictures of a new Sulawesi species that was a golden yellow color. Oh well...the pictures of your Yellow shrimp are very nice!

Wow! Your tank is so beautiful! Im at the beginning of starting my very first aquarium and after seeing yours i might even make it a shrimp tank! Can shrimps live with any kind of fish? A betta for example?

Wow! Your tank is so beautiful! Im at the beginning of starting my very first aquarium and after seeing yours i might even make it a shrimp tank! Can shrimps live with any kind of fish? A betta for example?

In general, the answer is no. Most fish will see the shrimps as food, and even if the adults are large enough to survive (which might be the case with a betta), certainly any baby shrimplets will be mercilessly eaten. Furthermore, the activity & antics that make shrimp so enjoyable in a tank will be highly restricted if they are in a tank with fish, as they will spend a lot of their time simply hiding. Whereas in a shrimp-only tank, you will see them crawling on everything, picking at everything, swimming around in the water, etc. Much more enjoyable.

If you want to have fish and also enjoy shrimp, then something like an amano shrimp (which can get more than twice as long as other dwarf shrimp species) is a better choice. A 2" or 2.5" amano shrimp is much less likely to end up as fish food in a community tank than a 1" Red Cherry or Yellow (or whatever) shrimp.

In general, the answer is no. Most fish will see the shrimps as food, and even if the adults are large enough to survive (which might be the case with a betta), certainly any baby shrimplets will be mercilessly eaten. Furthermore, the activity & antics that make shrimp so enjoyable in a tank will be highly restricted if they are in a tank with fish, as they will spend a lot of their time simply hiding. Whereas in a shrimp-only tank, you will see them crawling on everything, picking at everything, swimming around in the water, etc. Much more enjoyable.

If you want to have fish and also enjoy shrimp, then something like an amano shrimp (which can get more than twice as long as other dwarf shrimp species) is a better choice. A 2" or 2.5" amano shrimp is much less likely to end up as fish food in a community tank than a 1" Red Cherry or Yellow (or whatever) shrimp.

Ohh i see! I wont risk it then, ill pick fish or shrimps! One more question, do shrimps fight or can you have all different types and colours in the same tank?

Ohh i see! I wont risk it then, ill pick fish or shrimps! One more question, do shrimps fight or can you have all different types and colours in the same tank?

Among the commonly available dwarf shrimp in the hobby, no, they will not fight, they are all peaceful with each other. However, that doesn't mean you should just start mixing a bunch of different kinds of them up randomly. There are 2 reasons you don't want to do that.

Reason #1 is that many of the popular ones are just different color variants of the same species, or else are very, very, very closely related species. This means they can interbreed, and typically when they interbreed, the babies lose the special colors and are simply the "wild" color (usually a drab brown). So if you were to mix species that can interbreed, then your tank that has two wonderfully colored kinds of shrimp now, will be a tank full of nothing but dull brown shrimp a year or two down the road. You probably don't want that. :)

Reason #2 is that the various dwarf shrimp species have very different preferences for water conditions. Some of them prefer softer, acidic water; others prefer harder, alkaline water. So it's best to first figure out what kind of water you have and then be sure to buy shrimps that are going to do well in your particular setup.

So it is possible to mix a couple of different species together, but you really need to know what you are doing first. (Which, when you think about it, is no different from mixing different species of fish in a community tank. Some combinations work, some don't--so you need to do your research in advance before you go out and start buying stuff.)

Hope that helps. If you want, you can read a lot more about dwarf shrimps in the articles, species profiles, & forums at Arizona Inverts.

Great information JohnPaul! Here's to your rep!

Thanks. I've been keeping freshwater shrimp for about 6 years now and it has become my favorite part of the aquarium hobby. In fact, currently I have 3 tanks and not a single one of them has any fish! Just shrimp and other inverts. It's a much lesser-known part of the hobby than a lot of other aspects so I am always happy to share some of what I have learned.

Wow, 6 years is a lot for shrimp keeping hobby.
It started to be popular in North America for only 2-3 from now. You might be one of the first shrimp keepers here :)

These golden yellow shrimps are still here :)

I just found that old thread. That shrimps were third species/variety of dwarf shrimps I keep.

It's amazing how many new shrimps appeared in the hobby for these two years!
Neocaridina hetoropoda is getting more and more colors now :dance:

Shrimp only tank is becoming my new addiction of this hobby. My RCS tank is my favorite to look at, even though I have Amano, RCS, Bamboo and Ghost in my 75gal.

Unfortunately, having RCS eliminates me having other Neo. Hetoropodas like Red Rilis in that tank. I don't want 2 inch shrimp to add with my RCS, I want to keep shrimp at the 1inch size ... so... Red Tiger / Tiger shrimp are my next choice.

Back
Top Bottom