Has anyone had any luck using a Cannon Elph camera?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

platylover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Cannon elph S200 camera and I just can't seem to get any decent pics with it. It either focuses on the background or the gravel, never the fish that I want to photograph. No matter what I do with the camera, I get VERY blury fish.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of camera, or any tips or suggestions as to how I can get some decent pics?

TIA!

Oops, sorry I forgot about this post, must have been a bad day at work that day.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s200.asp

Those are the specs on your camera. One thing I notice is that your cam does not allow for a manual focus. Your cams auto focus type is...Auto focus type Ai AF TTL 3-point or center point , see which method your cam is set to use and switch to the other, most likely it is set to the 3 point by default and you want to switch it to center point. and change the metering to center weighted Then try to keep the fish in the center of the pic. Also, make sure your using your macro mode and do not try to get closer than 10cm to the fish, that is the smallest range it will focus at.

Use a tripod and the self timer, when possible, in aquarium photography your going to end up with slower shutter speeds which is going to cause blurry pics by either subject movement or camera shake. You can speed your shutter some by using your exposure compensation for the cam...This will over expose the pic a bit, but since the shutter speed was going to under expose it...it compensates ;)

Try using the flash, make sure the cam is at an angle to the tank, you may not like the results, but then again you might, try it and see. Take LOTS of pics. For every 1 I am willing to post, I tank 2-3 that I don't like or get ppoor results, before I really got aquainted with my cam I was taking 50 pics to post 2, nothing wrong with that, pixels are free and the results will get better with time.

Thanks for the help, Reefrunner. The pics that I am getting now are at least 300 times better than the ones before. I still don't think that I am ready for the monthly contest, but I should finally have some pics on my profile in a few days!

Back
Top Bottom