Help with taking photos of my fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattfraser

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

It has stumped me for a couple of years now on how to take good photos of my fish in the tank. I have tried a dark room with just the tank light on, have tried all different kinds of flashes (although reluctant to experiment with this too much as worried it may upset the fish)

I have now bought a new digital camera (Canon Ixus 750) and would like to try again. Does anyone have any ideas on how i can take good quality photos please?

Many thanks

Matt

You'll most likely have a Macro setting. Try that. And when not in macro mode (shooting something about 10" or so away from the lense, don't use the flash (all aquarium lights on).

Might also need to fiddle with your shutter speed settings when not using flash to keep things from getting blurry. Or use a tripod.

I've also set my camera to size the pics smaller so that I can transfer directly to this site within its limits.

HTH a bit.

If you're lucky, Reefrunner might be along and help you out also. Check the articles at this site also or maybe there is a sticky in the Photo/Showoff furm that might help you also.

Let us see the improved stuff when you get some.

couple tips Ive found useful

use macro mode on the camera with auto focus
turn off the room lights and unless you have a separate flash, that too
put it on the highest resolution and if you can increase the f-stop or decrease the aperture, do that
also, I'd suggest using a tripod

I'm sure more ppl will have additional ideas, but those tips should help improve your shots at least a little

Hi

Have just taken some photos with my camera in Macro mode and also ISO 400 and the results are much better. Flash off aswell. I also have a tripod. Just a matter of time i think now as the fish dont like staying still for long, haha.

Alot of my fish seem attracted to the camera, especially my Firemouth's, which is great as they are one of the fish i am trying to photograph. Unfortunately the other fish i really want photos of are very camera shy. They never hide when i approach the tank but as soon as the camera is out......whoooooosh..........gone. HAHA They are Golden Severums, the large one looks beautiful and would be great to have some nice photos of them.

Time and patience i feel. Thanks so much for your advice, you have made a difference already. Any more suggestions are gratefully received.

Matt

p.s. Guess there is one thing you cant get round though......scratches on the glass. My tank was given to me by a friend who had recently moved (3 years ago) and i believe in the move it got scratched. Not enough to worry about but they really show up on the photos :(

Here is a photography trick that many use. It depends on the kind of flash and how your room is painted though.

The idea here is flash reflection, you want the bonus of a flash without washing the subject of the photo. I know they say practice what you preach but I'm usually too lazy to use this technique so my photos are mostly like this. There are 2 ways to do this, you need to have a light colored room (white or off white is best but light blues will work too). If your room is dark colored, you need to get a piece of white posterboard to supplement this.

Adjustable Flash: These are the high dollar flashes that can detatch and be held in your hand. You don't likely have one of these but if you do, point it at the ceiling above your head at a slight angle toward the tank (or the posterboard you bought positioned above you). The brunt of the flash will dissipate and you will recieve indirect light and reflected light.

Non-Adjustable Flash: Most of us end up with this cheaper alternative. No matter, take a small piece of white posterboard about twice the area of the plastic cover on your flash. While taking the picture, hold the poster board in front of the camera flash at an angle as if you were trying to make the light go up. The bottom edge of the poster board will touch the camera and the top edge will be about a half inch to an inch from the camera. Play with it a little, its hard to make it perfect. And remember, don't block the lense.

My apologies. I had a look down the list of forum topics but must have missed this one. Sorry and thanks for moving it to the correct forum.

Matt

Ok, these are some of my first shots i took.

Attachments

• picture_015__small__102.jpg
    picture_015__small__102.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 36
  • picture_027__small__464.jpg
    picture_027__small__464.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom