Here is my first tank! (Betta Splendens, 5g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another video. I think tomorrow, while my tank is clearly in newbie stage, I'm gonna add some silk plants. It's easier than redoing the whole tank. I'll have some money coming, at which point I'll be buying a tank and aquascaping it, buit for now the fish needs some cover for sure. :S

LeChuck (my Betta Splendens), 1080p! (2) - YouTube

Shopping list includes:
Thermometer
Heater
Silk Plants
Live Blood Worms
Possibly a ghost shrimp or 5

Great looking betta mate, is just me or does the little guy seem like he is struggling against a small current?

Great looking betta mate, is just me or does the little guy seem like he is struggling against a small current?
Yeah, there was a current, but not anymore. I added silk plants... and changed the filter... reason the aquaclear filter went back is because I got a new tank for him. It's cycling now.

My new planted tank! - YouTube

So the guys in teh chat told me, since the other tank was still cycling, that the critters were safer in a planted aquarium since I have stalky plants... they'll eat up ammonia and definitely won't let it get to what the crazy levels... so they're in the new tank. I'll do a video soon.

I've also decided on my next fish, a dwarf gourami.

In fact, I think I've decided what my next fish is gonna be. For my existing 5 gallon, I'm gonna put it in my bed room, and put a dwarf gourami and 3 ghost shrimp in the tank. :)

Gonna take the silk plants I bought back tomorrow, and buy some real plants... and then put that tank in my bed room. Shouldn't need too much stuff, as I already have substrate and a few decorations. I'll probably leave the skull in the tank so my shrimp have a place to hide that the gourami can't reasonably get into. :)

not-pro said:
In fact, I think I've decided what my next fish is gonna be. For my existing 5 gallon, I'm gonna put it in my bed room, and put a dwarf gourami and 3 ghost shrimp in the tank. :)

Gonna take the silk plants I bought back tomorrow, and buy some real plants... and then put that tank in my bed room. Shouldn't need too much stuff, as I already have substrate and a few decorations. I'll probably leave the skull in the tank so my shrimp have a place to hide that the gourami can't reasonably get into. :)

Dwarf gouramis need 15 gals minimum

not-pro said:
My reading disagrees, it's all the same for now. I'll upgrade him when he needs it, if he does. My reading says 5 gallons is sufficient.

Copyright on the book? DGs really can't live in under 15 gals with minimal tankmates, ABSOLUTE minimum without 10 gals with weekly WCs
Please don't tell me you are following chain store signs

Copyright on the book? DGs really can't live in under 15 gals with minimal tankmates, ABSOLUTE minimum without 10 gals with weekly WCs
Please don't tell me you are following chain store signs

Not chain store signs. I've read several different websites.

Aqadvisor reccomends against it because they can reach 2.5inches, but no two websites agree on max size. It varies from 1.5 to 2.0, and from 2.0 to 2.5, and from 2.5 to 3.0. Furthermore, some say 5 gallons is sufficient, some say 5 gallons is minimum, and some say that 5 gallons isn't gonna work (such as yourself). The opinions on this fish vary, and considering the size, I personally am okay with him being by himself in my 5.5g in my bedroom. It's heavily planted so there is plenty of interest... and as I told severum mama in the chat tonite, if he exhibits signs of him needing more space, I'll gladly give it to him. I have a pump for a 10 gallon and would gladly give him that much space.

Right now it's 3 ghost shrimp and 1 powder blue dwarf gourami. And to be honest, bio load wise, it's perfectly fine; and space wise, the tank is definitely many many times bigger than him and with the amount of plants he has plenty to swim through and see and do. A betta splendens gets to 3 inches, a dwarf gourami gets to 2 - 2.5 and the betta is fine with a 5 gallon, yet the gourami needs 15? They're both hardy labyrinth fish, and both have very similar care instructions and similarly less than ideal natural environments (compared to fish whom occupy bigger bodies of water). I'm just not seeing it.

I honestly can't see a problem with it.

The stocking police are out to get me on this one, but my research really really disagrees with them and personal observeration of the fish now shows he's doing just fine.

Again, if he seems cramped, he'll get a bigger tank... but 15 gallons for a single 2 inch fish? I don't buy it. If that was the case, a betta wouldn't be satisfied with a 5 gallon either.

FYI, for anybody reading this post, I'm not an expert and should not be considered as a "source" for caring for your own gourami. I do not want to spread fud and only am defending my position in keeping a single gourami in a 5 gallon.

Not chain store signs. I've read several different websites.

Aqadvisor reccomends against it because they can reach 2.5inches, but no two websites agree on max size. It varies from 1.5 to 2.0, and from 2.0 to 2.5, and from 2.5 to 3.0. Furthermore, some say 5 gallons is sufficient, some say 5 gallons is minimum, and some say that 5 gallons isn't gonna work (such as yourself). The opinions on this fish vary, and considering the size, I personally am okay with him being by himself in my 5.5g in my bedroom. It's heavily planted so there is plenty of interest... and as I told severum mama in the chat tonite, if he exhibits signs of him needing more space, I'll gladly give it to him. I have a pump for a 10 gallon and would gladly give him that much space.

Right now it's 3 ghost shrimp and 1 powder blue dwarf gourami. And to be honest, bio load wise, it's perfectly fine; and space wise, the tank is definitely many many times bigger than him and with the amount of plants he has plenty to swim through and see and do. A betta splendens gets to 3 inches, a dwarf gourami gets to 2 - 2.5 and the betta is fine with a 5 gallon, yet the gourami needs 15? They're both hardy labyrinth fish, and both have very similar care instructions and similarly less than ideal natural environments (compared to fish whom occupy bigger bodies of water). I'm just not seeing it.

I honestly can't see a problem with it.

The stocking police are out to get me on this one, but my research really really disagrees with them and personal observeration of the fish now shows he's doing just fine.

Again, if he seems cramped, he'll get a bigger tank... but 15 gallons for a single 2 inch fish? I don't buy it. If that was the case, a betta wouldn't be satisfied with a 5 gallon either.

FYI, for anybody reading this post, I'm not an expert and should not be considered as a "source" for caring for your own gourami. I do not want to spread fud and only am defending my position in keeping a single gourami in a 5 gallon.

something to consider is that a gourami is more active than a betta. 5 gals is also the min recommendation for a betta. It's not saying that it's perfect but that's it's the very least you should offer, that more is best.

Personally my view is that a DG needs at least 10 gallons. I'd keep it with nothing more than perhaps some snails. Keep in mind that most shrimp will often become a target for your gourami as time passes. This is something you will want to keep an eye on.

Another thing many people don't realize is that keeping a fish in a smaller tank with the plan to switch them as they grow if they need it really doesn't work. Keeping a fish in a tank that is too small will often stunt their growth so they don't actually reach the size they should. People see them and think they have stopped growing and are ok where they are, but in reality they are being stunted.

This case is most often seen in gold fish. You can read all over that goldies can be kept in something as small as 10 gallons, fish stores will sell you several for a 10 gallon. The reality is these fish grow to be 6-8 inches in the smallest types and over a foot in others. They need at least 20 gallons for just 1(type depending, 30 or more is best). When kept in smaller tanks with less than ideal conditions they will stop growing. This leaves a fish that should live well over 10 years, often close to 20, dieing as young as 3-4 years and never reaching it's full size. A fish that dies from stunted growth dies from organ failure. It's body stops growing but it's insides do not. They just grow until they shut down.

A DG should reach 2 1/2 inches, but it will only reach this size if given the proper conditions.

I've had my DG for 2 months, he's in a 20 gal community. He was 1 1/2 when I got him and in the last month alone he's grown about a half an inch.

Just my 2 cents. In the end you will do what you want but I would erg you to get your DG a 10 gallon as soon as you can and not try to just wait and see.

tamtam said:
something to consider is that a gourami is more active than a betta. 5 gals is also the min recommendation for a betta. It's not saying that it's perfect but that's it's the very least you should offer, that more is best.

Personally my view is that a DG needs at least 10 gallons. I'd keep it with nothing more than perhaps some snails. Keep in mind that most shrimp will often become a target for your gourami as time passes. This is something you will want to keep an eye on.

Another thing many people don't realize is that keeping a fish in a smaller tank with the plan to switch them as they grow if they need it really doesn't work. Keeping a fish in a tank that is too small will often stunt their growth so they don't actually reach the size they should. People see them and think they have stopped growing and are ok where they are, but in reality they are being stunted.

This case is most often seen in gold fish. You can read all over that goldies can be kept in something as small as 10 gallons, fish stores will sell you several for a 10 gallon. The reality is these fish grow to be 6-8 inches in the smallest types and over a foot in others. They need at least 20 gallons for just 1(type depending, 30 or more is best). When kept in smaller tanks with less than ideal conditions they will stop growing. This leaves a fish that should live well over 10 years, often close to 20, dieing as young as 3-4 years and never reaching it's full size. A fish that dies from stunted growth dies from organ failure. It's body stops growing but it's insides do not. They just grow until they shut down.

A DG should reach 2 1/2 inches, but it will only reach this size if given the proper conditions.

I've had my DG for 2 months, he's in a 20 gal community. He was 1 1/2 when I got him and in the last month alone he's grown about a half an inch.

Just my 2 cents. In the end you will do what you want but I would erg you to get your DG a 10 gallon as soon as you can and not try to just wait and see.

+1 have to agree on this, 5 gallon is too small for the gourami.

*sigh*

Fine. I'll look into upgrading him to a 10 as soon as I can. A betta is a less active fish and that is true, but the 5 gallon he is in is HUGE for him. He's finding hiding places I didn't know existed. Earlier he poked his head out of a crack that I didn't know existed in my rock decor, and furthermore had no clue he could get into... even when I saw him in there I was baffled... but good for him. Lots of interest!

I'll get a 10 gallon as soon as I'm able.

Not to be contrary but every male betta that I've kept is nearly as big and just as active as a DG if kept in a suitable size tank.

These hard-line tank size minimums imply that a fish is being neglected, mistreated, or otherwise kept in an unsuitable environment if the tank size minimums aren't met. This can be a shortsighted approach to tank stocking imo.

So I'm saying that the 'absolutes' are just opinion without some kind of evidence supporting them.

Not to be contrary but every male betta that I've kept is nearly as big and just as active as a DG if kept in a suitable size tank.

These hard-line tank size minimums imply that a fish is being neglected, mistreated, or otherwise kept in an unsuitable environment if the tank size minimums aren't met. This can be a shortsighted approach to tank stocking imo.

So I'm saying that the 'absolutes' are just opinion without some kind of evidence supporting them.

It's not like he's in a torture chamber. It'll be a well cared for and cleaned 5 gallon and it's in my bedroom, the one place in my home that should be the quietest which is part of the care instructions (they dislike loud noise).

I'm investigating looking for a 10 gallon for him. I'll get one or two as soon as I'm able. (the second will begin cycling and become home for dwarf puffers if I can get the tank parameters correctly)

it's not a goldfish in a bowl, that's for sure. I still think it's much more of a gray area.

Is that the new fluval spec that's long and narrow?

If so honestly I think a DG would be fine I saw your video and it is very well scaped. I think a DG would live happily in there with a couple of snails to clean up!!!!

5 gal is fine just don't over load it with plants or rocks. I'm sure you will do fine. This Is an advice forum but all you need is consistent facts for the question at hand. Your tank will be an expression of you. As long as the tank matches the fish the you can go nuts haha. I would recommend starting a journal on here if you can can (you usually can on most forums) and show everyone the steps you are taking as you go. It's not only fun but people can give you POSITIVE tips as you go. I guarantee you will be upgrading before you know what hit you lol. I started out with 5gal and now i have a 50gal tank and loving it.

Back
Top Bottom