hobby turned addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vikki.kixx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it started out as a hobby in ways, i've always loved fish and i could stare at them for days. i was planning on just having a betta in my spare 5 gallon tank and keeping him happy. so when i was living in iowa last year i visited petland (about an hr away) and brought home "hawk" the red betta, who tricked me! he looked way better in his tank at the store but after the guy got him for me..i felt bad for saying i didnt like him..so i brought him home anyways. i was going to love hawk either way. the time came for me to move back home to texas, there was no way i thought i could drive the 1300 mile trip with hawk, i was going to have to leave him behind with a friend in iowa, it broke my heart but i said my good byes, my friend was supposed to go to my apt.and pick him up after i left, (my boyfriend was staying behind a few more days because of his baseball season). well about a week later my boyfriend made his way back to texas, he called and said he was bringing something i forgot..no clue what he was talking about but i said okay. well about 3 days later he shows up and tells me to meet him at his parents place to pick up the stuff i forgot. turns out my friend never made it to my apt.to pick up hawk and he brought him back to me! hawk traveled 1300 miles in a ziplock freezer bag filled with water in 1 gallon tank that i had to keep him in when i would change his tank water. not the best conditions for him to travel in.but i can not believe he made that long trip! well a little over a year later hawk is still swimming away and he's got 2 tank mates in plecos right now. anyways, my boyfriend knows how much i love fish for valentines day this year he got me a 37 gallon tank that we have stocked with some beautiful fish, i even have a net breeder in there with 6 babies i got from petsmart, i'm raising them like they are my own, i cant wait until they get big enough to get out and explore the rest of the tank. it's our hobby and it's become my addiction. i'm constantly checking on them and i've been taking pictures like crazy. i'm always reading the posts on here and i love learning about these little guys.

Last edited:
Your silver molly is my personal fave. Gorgeous fish. :)

We are the same as you (well my fiancé is worse than me) we started with a 3ft tank, nothing special just had it on a side table, for Christmas last year I got my partner a 3ft on a loverly stand a real feature in our dining room and used the old tank for our children to have gold fish however 2months ago we realised that 2 of out fish were very pregnant so they were put into out small birthing tank in the kitchen, so that was 3tanks in the house but to our shock our sword tail had 80 babies and our platty and 80+ so we had new choice but to get a new tank so I got one for my other halfs birthday , I thought that was it but we were then given a very nice 3.5ft tank on black stand!! Then our guppy had 30+ babies last night. So all together we have 5 tanks one cold water, one mixed tropical, one birthing tank (with pregnant guppy in) one guppy tank and one large tank full of babies
I know how easy it is for it to become an obsession :) x
Your not alone lol x

I had a nice 20 gallon 5 years ago. And recently I decided to jump back into the hobby and got a 5 gallon. Having this 5 gallon has made me realize how much I missed having a tank. But I had always wanted a larger tank. So this past weekend my husband and I went to petsmart planning to get a 37 gallon and ended up with the 55 because it was on sale. And I (of course) couldn't pass up the great deal! No fish in it yet. Not planning on breeding any fish but I wish I knew some breeders around here cause our local stores don't have a huge selection. Glad to hear your betta made the long journey :D

Back
Top Bottom