how to get better color outdoors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been experimenting with my new rebel XT and have been having some trouble getting decent color on my photo's in the sunshine. The photo's are quite desaturated, but the real colors still have been quite vivid even in the bright sunlight.

Any suggestions? I haven't found anything on the net addressing this issue so I'm hoping someone may have some insight for me. I tried decreasing the EV a couple of stops, but the colors remain the same with a less overall brightness.

Would using a smaller aperture work for this, it seems that I have been using a large aperture for a blurred background, but I'm wondering if this is the trade off....

Suggestions?

a lot of digital cameras have color correcting in them and dont always "correct" them the way you want to - I'm personally unfamiliar with that model but I believe most SLR digital cameras allow you to tweak the color adjustements internally - I would play around with these settings if they exists - else an after-the-fact alteration via Photoshop or another similar program might be required to resaturate the photos

1) Post an example, no larger than 800 X 600
2) In Very bright sunlight the light is going to wash out the color, it is the nature of the beast.

Best time to shoot is the hour to 2 after sunrise/before sunset. Anything outside those time frames, try either on an overcast day or in the shade. Post the pic though so I can have a look at the histogram and see if it isn't an editing or exposure problem.

Post the pic though so I can have a look at the histogram and see if it isn't an editing or exposure problem.

I'm outta town on work right now, but I'll post it when I get home on friday.

So I am correct to assume that it's nothing I'm particularly doing wrong other than shooting at the wrong time of day?

one of the subjects in question (and I realize on this particular one that there is more complicated factors, than just color) was my sun-tanning wife with the new kitten curled up beside her. It was tough because he is all black and when I had him properly exposed, her skin tone would be much too washed out.

But it was the flower blooms that weren't turning out the way I wanted them too (as they appeared in real life).

So I am correct to assume that it's nothing I'm particularly doing wrong other than shooting at the wrong time of day?

I can't say that out of hand, they could simply be overexposed, I need to see the pic to know what to suggest.

As for your examples, I need to see the flower pics, there are several reasons why they might turn out washed out, without going into detail about dynamic range and digital media....the explanation as to why the photo of your wife and the kitten didn't turn out might be a bit too technical.

Hmmm, OK, but remember...you asked.

Your meter is going to try and meter everything as 18%gray, so deepending on what your shooting you need to adjust for that for proper expposure, some scenes have too much dynamic range for digital (or film although typically you get 1-2 stops more with film) and you cannot meter for the highlights without underexposing the shadows or vice versa.

I still would like to see an example, you sometimes get a washed out look with images with low dynamic range due to a lack of contrast.

Is this by any chance a product of the monitor not being in sync with the camera, colourwise? When the wife's monitor was dying (getting darker), she corrected all her photos. When viewed online, by anyone else, the pictures were all washed out

Thanks for the explanation. I knew it was a metering issue. I'll upload the pictures when i get back in town this weekend. So assuming that all other variables don't exist for this situation, how does one adjust the exposure for a an accurate representation of a contrasty picture such as this. As a note, I ended up adjusting the levels in photoshop and using a layer mask on the kitten and painting him back in with brighter highlights. However, I'd like to reduce my post processing of similar photos in the future. If I understand what you're saying...it's always going to be a trade off, and I then need to find the balance that works best?

Thanks again for explanation.

Back
Top Bottom