How to take a good digital photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking that the camera's stability has a lot to do with the quality of the shot too. I think someone told me here recently that they use the ironing board. Can't seem to hold a camera still enuf with your hands it seems. I'll have to check out my digital camera more too. Macro settings. Hmm. Hope I got one of those on it.

I used to be so good with those manual settings for apertures, shutter speeds, and film speeds. Still not crazy about these new fangled, auto everything cameras yet. :roll:

Some has to do with the color profile you are using in your camera as compared to what is produced for the web. Photo shop shows you a CMYK profile while your editn the pic, but saves as RGB when compressing to jpg. My digi cam has 6.3 million photo sensors, half are green, 1/4 Red and 1/4 Blue, other manufacturers have similar ratios, although possibly slightly different, the ratia causes the color shift. Blue has always been a difficult color for digicams and in response to that, I think it has swung the other way.

hp photosmart 935

I'm using the HP Photosmart 935 and still trying to find the settings for tank shots. I'm getting closer. Here's a couple pics for ya...

HPIM2064.jpg

HPIM2079.jpg

Nice pics lonewolf! Dragonmommy I can't take pics for the life of me. I take 50 and use 5! I have a kodak digital never tried the HP. It takes a lot of practice and I like the ironing board suggestion, I'm going to try that!

I found that when I took the pictures without the viewfinder and shutter speed on 400, I get better results. Not sure why I don't get the same results with the viewfinder on. And I have the lights in the house off, and tank light on, at night. Even with macro, I'm not using a tripod. Ever since starting to take pics without the viewfinder, pics are coming out wonderful. the viewfinder must slow camera processing down, causing blurriness with any movement.

reefrunner69 said:
When taking pics of moving objects, there is no way around it, you gotta be using a faster shutter speed, this means you either use the lash, or you fiddle with the exposure. For the pics of the clown I took (in the new aquisitions forum), I had the exposure bumped up to +2.0 EV, I had the camera stopped down to an aperture of about 3.6-4.0 (lose some depth of field, but it allows more light in) and an ISO equivelant of 200 and a shutter speed of 1/60sec. It's about capturing the light, slower shutter speeds allow you to have a larger aperture, which increases your DOF, but it makes it pretty hard to prevent motion blur.

I think you got a little confused here. Increasing aperture size (smaller number) will REDUCE your depth of field, but allow you to take in more light at a given exposure time. Decreasing the aperture size will increase depth of field, but require longer exposure times to take the same photo. For example to take a perfectly exposed picture of a cactus in the desert you could take the shot at f/2 and a shutter speed of 1/10000 of a second or get the same shot with f/16 and 1/1000 of a second. The difference will be in the first one the background will appear blurry while the cactus is in focus, and in the later both the cactus and the background will be sharply in focus.

Aperture size is calculated by f/N, f being the focal length of the camera. N is the number that you choose on the camera to determine aperture size. In low-light situations where you have movement that you want to freeze you are going to want to choose the smallest f-number you can on your camera. This will allow you to take in as much light as you can for the chosen exposure time. The side effect will be an out of focus background, just how out of focus depends on the f-number chosen and the distance of the background from the subject.

If you are in high light situations or you have adequate light and want to maintain a greater DOF then you can decrease the aperture size by choosing a larger f-number. Remember not as much light will get in per unit time with a smaller aperture but in well lit aquariums you can get away with this smaller aperture size.

The key to picking an f-number is remembering whatever you choose the aperture size will be it's reciprocal. IE f-number 2 is actually f/2 so that is a larger aperture size than f-number 16 = f/16

As mentioned by reefrunner69 you can further enhance your picture taking skills by toying with the EV value on your camera. This is the exposure value like it's name suggests is a way of changing the way your camera exposes images. First I will talk about the case where a light source causes your subject to be UNDEREXPOSED (subject is too dark). In this case you will want to choose a + EV value to compensate and make the subject brighter. In the case where your subject is OVEREXPOSED (subject is too bright) you will want to choose a - EV value to compensate. This wont necessarily help with there not being adequate light in the aquarium but it can help when reflection of light off the sand causes a ground dwelling fish to be underexposed.

If you have increased your aperture as big as you can get it (small f-number) and toyed with the EVs and haven't been able to capture that shot of an active fish you have another option. Digital cameras have another way of adjusting in low-light conditions. It's been brought up a little here and that's called the ISO setting. Generally you want to keep your camera on the LOWEST ISO setting you have, because this allows you to take the best quality pictures. When you bump up the ISO number, you are in effect making the millions of optical sensors in your camera more sensitive. The more sensitive these sensors become the more noise will be evident in your images.

This is where the recommendation of taking LOTS of pictures comes into play. Different cameras respond to the same ISO settings differently. For example, ISO 200 on my camera may introduce the same amount of noise into an image as ISO 800 on a different brand camera. By taking pictures and toying with the ISO settings you can see how high you can set your ISO to before it introduces too much noise for your liking. If you have to go with a high ISO don't be discouraged, there is software that can help reduce noise in images, and techniques that can be done in Photoshop to reduce noise as well. (Besides using the reduce noise filter)

Now to put all this together to take those perfect shots of your fish. If you have some highly active fish like a danio you are going to want to have a fast shutter speed to effectively 'freeze' them in the picture. Play with varying combinations of aperture size, ISO settings, exposure values, and shutter speeds to take a picture you like. I can't tell you what exact settings will work best for your aqarium shots because as I said earlier all cameras are different, and your lighting will more than likely be different than mine. However if you want I can help steer you in the right direction so you can start taking those breath taking shots. I may be a newbie to FW aquariums, but I know my fair share about digital photography and would love to help fellow members out since I will undoubtedly be requiring assitance from you.

Let me know if any of this is hard to understand or needs better explanation I wrote this a little tired with little proof reading. If there is enough interest I can probably have a thread where I can answer more photography based questions, or setup a time where I can host a chat on instant messenger and answer questions in realtime. This just covered some of the basics of photography.

-Push

The easiest way to stop motion would be as follows:

Switch to APERTURE-priority mode, also known as Av mode, or a mode where you can change numbers that look like 3.5, 4, 4.5 etc. Adjust this Aperture number to the lowest value possible. (DOF on P&S cameras doesn't matter much, and fish are thin) Then, change your ISO to the highest number possible. This will result in pretty much the fastest shutter speed and should reduce blur if your tank is lit well enough.

Now here's a question that reefrunner69 might be able to answer for me. I currently am using a Nikon D70s Digital SLR with a 6GB microdrive. When taking pics of my tanks, they tend to be more on the greenish side. Also, if I have some white in the background, the white turns up more of a light red or pink in color. What setting do you think I may have wrong? I've tried various numbers of the manual settings, but have not figured why everything seems greenish. Any ideas?

You might want to check out the review section here: http://www.megapixel.net

They explain every single function on my new camera (Olympus SP-500 UZ), which is actually a 2005 model that got for a good deal on a closeout at Staples. A 6MP SLR-like camera w/10 X optical zoom and a f2.8 aperture for $150.00 sounded like a good deal to me!

I found a page for the D50 and the D80, but nothing on the D70. Perhaps one of those models is similar to yours...

Now here's a question that reefrunner69 might be able to answer for me. I currently am using a Nikon D70s Digital SLR with a 6GB microdrive. When taking pics of my tanks, they tend to be more on the greenish side. Also, if I have some white in the background, the white turns up more of a light red or pink in color. What setting do you think I may have wrong?

White Balance. Consult your manual on how to do a custom white balance, it can also be fixed in photoshop, or if your shooting raw in the raw processor.

I assume you mean an increase in White Balance.

No, I mean to set a custom white balance. I suppose it depends on ow you think of it whether it's an increase or decrease. All white balance is, is telling the camera what white is in a particular lighting. In "Auto White Balance" The camera trys to determine the color temperature of the light and sets the white balance so white will look white in what it perceives to be the color of the light. In the presets (cloudy, incandescent, florescent, etc...) your telling the camera the color temp of the lighting is XXXX° K and it produces a picture for that lighting. In difficult lighting situations, like aquarium photography, a custom white balance is advisable, basically you sample something pure white (or gray, basically a neutral color having the same values for red blue and green pure white = R255 B255 G255 pure black is R0 B0 G0 anything in between with the same values for R G and B is a shade of gray) in the lighting your shooting in, and that sets yuor white balance accordingly.

uhhh...okay

As soon as my brain cools down (you just overloaded it) :D I'll try that when I get home. I need to take some updated pics of the tanks anyway. That will give me the opportunity to play with the settings. Thanks for the explanation...

I know its an old thread, but a good way to get pics of your fish is a macro lens, or macro setting on a point and shoot. Place the lens up against the aquarium glass (preferably flush against glass). Use either a custom white balance (Shoot a white piece of paper in the same light as your tank, or the best method, shoot an 18% grey card and use photoshop to set the white balance against that card) Try Whibal.com for the cards and a tutorial on how to use them...very helpful, or use the auto white balance setting on the camera.
Also try a higher ISO, 400 or greater, so you can use a faster shutter speed to avoid blur from camera shake (1/80 at the slowest).
Lastly the f-stop...think of the f-stop like the iris of your eye. The smaller the number, the larger the opening, allowing more light to come into the camera, allowing for a faster shutter speed, enabling you to catch a swiming fish without blurring.

Trial and error taking pictures is the key to getting good at taking pictures. And with digital, you are not wasting film...so keep shooting and if you don't like the pics, erase them.

Well since you brought this thread back up, I thought I would add what I do.

Not only do I use a tri-pod, but I use the timer function as well. This allows me to NOT touch the camera when the picture is taken. It really helps out my photo's.

Back
Top Bottom