I want a new aquatic pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTigerApple

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which fish do you think I could best put In the tank below
a Betta
A Oscar
A turtle ( I will get needed things)
Lots of guppies
****I don't know which animal to get give me an idea****

Attachments

• image-1825251437.jpg
    image-1825251437.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1839791532.jpg
    image-1839791532.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 115
The only thing that you should put in there is a Betta. Add some more plants though.

The only compatible fish for six gallons is a betta

OR

A few guppies

TheTigerApple said:

Then the only other option for you from your list is the guppies. Neither the Oscar or the turtle will work at all.

TheTigerApple said:
Ok what kind of fish do you have and your tank size

I have a ten gallon with guppies and three cories and a five with a Betta. However my tank is too small for the cories but they'll get a big tank soon.

I have a ten gallon with guppies and three cories and a five with a Betta. However my tank is too small for the cories but they'll get a big tank soon.

You might find this wired but I have my 2 goldfish in one of these 6g tanks and there still alive

You might find this wired but I have my 2 goldfish in one of these 6g tanks and there still alive

That tank must be very dirty lol. I have a ten gallon with guppies and a beta. I know some people don't like the beta and guppy mix but I am yet to have a problem.

Otherwise you could get a couple of african dwarf frogs. Not much can fit in 6 gallons. But you could fit a few other things in a 20 gallon..but nothing overly large..just community type fish.

New Pet

So glad you came here to see which kind of pet might work well. Researching a new pet is a great step in happy pet keeping.

Two Goldfish need a 29 Long (minimum) or larger, a 40 gallon breeder tank would great. It is 36" wide, so is a 46G Bowfront. Both sizes would be great Goldfish homes. With a double stand you would have room for your other tanks too.

What kind are your goldfish? Some Goldfish get over 12 inches long and some can weigh a couple pounds! So the 6 gallon will not be a good home for them.

And to properly care for the goldfish a huge filter.

What size/type do you have now? Goldfish are huge ammonia producers. Because of this they are susceptible to Ammonia, and Nitrite poisoning.

Have you read about how the water needs BB (beneficial bacteria) to break down/process fish waste? Maintaining excellent water parameters for the fish are critical to good health.

Have you tested your water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?. One of the symptoms are red/purple bruise looking spots, or red blotches and red streaks/veins, in the fins, this can seriously injure fish internally and sometimes, they survive but don't really recover due to physical damage internally.

How often do you do partial water changes?

Also your filter... I forget for sure but it should circulate the water 4-5x per hour, the gallon size of the tank for goldfish. Canister filters are ideal.

I know you asked about a new pet but it seems you care about your pets by asking questions, so I thought it to be wise to make sure you knew some basics on how to keep them well!

A nice idea for the 8 gallon might be Red Cherry Shrimp, and a nano fish called, Boraras Brigittae, "Chilis" It is a Micro Rasbora, so tiny it won't eat the baby shrimp! With plants and sand! Cherry shrimp come in different colors too, orange, yellow, blue, white and brown, though they usually cost more than the red ones!

:welcome:

So glad you came here to see which kind of pet might work well. Researching a new pet is a great step in happy pet keeping.

Two Goldfish need a 29 Long (minimum) or larger, a 40 gallon breeder tank would great. It is 36" wide, so is a 46G Bowfront. Both sizes would be great Goldfish homes. With a double stand you would have room for your other tanks too.

What kind are your goldfish? Some Goldfish get over 12 inches long and some can weigh a couple pounds! So the 6 gallon will not be a good home for them.

And to properly care for the goldfish a huge filter.

What size/type do you have now? Goldfish are huge ammonia producers. Because of this they are susceptible to Ammonia, and Nitrite poisoning.

Have you read about how the water needs BB (beneficial bacteria) to break down/process fish waste? Maintaining excellent water parameters for the fish are critical to good health.

Have you tested your water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates?. One of the symptoms are red/purple bruise looking spots, or red blotches and red streaks/veins, in the fins, this can seriously injure fish internally and sometimes, they survive but don't really recover due to physical damage internally.

How often do you do partial water changes?

Also your filter... I forget for sure but it should circulate the water 4-5x per hour, the gallon size of the tank for goldfish. Canister filters are ideal.

I know you asked about a new pet but it seems you care about your pets by asking questions, so I thought it to be wise to make sure you knew some basics on how to keep them well!

A nice idea for the 8 gallon might be Red Cherry Shrimp, and a nano fish called, Boraras Brigittae, "Chilis" It is a Micro Rasbora, so tiny it won't eat the baby shrimp! With plants and sand! Cherry shrimp come in different colors too, orange, yellow, blue, white and brown, though they usually cost more than the red ones!

:welcome:

I do check the tank for ammonia and they are lion head goldfish and a kinda dwarf fantail. I also have a very tiny Pleco in it

I do check the tank for ammonia and they are lion head goldfish and a kinda dwarf fantail. I also have a very tiny Pleco in it

Goldfish are goldfish. No matter the kind they need big tanks. Give my dad crap too. He is even worse he has two goldfish in a 2.5 gallon. Trying to convince home to go bigger

Back
Top Bottom