iPhone HDR images

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manmythlegend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's some images I've taken of my 75 gallon planted community setup and a Jack Dempsey using the camera app on the iPhone 4 running iOS 5.0.1 with the "HDR" turned on. All editing was done on the iPhone itself using only the camera app. No other programs/apps were used. :cool:
I'm kind of amazed at the detail and clarity of these shots considering it's just a phone camera. The images are actually much better than the 10mp digital camera I have used in the past to capture images of my tank occupants. Editing was pretty easy on the iPhone also.

Attachments

• cherry.jpg
    cherry.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 216
  • jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 210
  • praecox.jpg
    praecox.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 225
  • Skrimp1.jpg
    Skrimp1.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 203
It's the native "camera" app that came with the iPhone, no need to download if you have an iPhone.

I have the iPhone 4 too. But I can't get it to take very good pics at all. In fact it's the worst phone camera I've ever had. I wonder why yours turned out so much better? Nice pics!

Hmmmmm....
Ok. Here's exactly what I did:
Open the Camera app and select "Options".
Set the HDR to ON and select "Done".
Turn off the flash.
Place the phone right against the side of the aquarium and use the aquarium's side to steady the phone as you hold it with one hand.
Move the phone around, lining up and snapping photos as you go.

A few hints
Allow the camera to focus before shooting. To prompt the camera to focus where you want, tap the area on the phone screen where you want the focus to be (the fish, a plant, decorations, etc.) and wait for the box with the crosshairs to 'lock in' and then fade away. The camera is now focused on that area.
Due to there being no macro setting the subject needs to be a few inches away to get optimal focus.
Be patient. In the image with the Cherry Barb I focused on the female because she was sitting there quietly and I waited quite a bit for a male to come in frame to check on her before I took the shot.

OR... :huh:

Be quick. In the attached image of the Praecox I followed the fish around with the camera and when the opportunity arose, quickly tapped the focus and shot ASAP when the little booger was momentarily motionless. :fish1:
Once the image is in the Camera Roll you may find you have two of them. I think it saves one in HD and the other as a normal resolution image. If you have trouble telling the difference between the two, there is a faded out "HDR" right under the "Camera Roll" back arrow on the HD version.
Press "Edit" and use the magic wand to set the Auto-Enhance On then use the crop tool and select an area you find to be a pleasing composition. Cropping is done by the same pinching motion used to zoom in the Camera app.
Once you're happy with the way it looks, hit the gold colored "Save" button.
The first picture is the normal resolution image and the second is the HD version that I just took of a male Praecox Rainbow Fish to make sure I got all the steps listed on here that I used to take the photos in the correct sequence.
GOOD LUCK!

Attachments

• normalresolution.JPG
    normalresolution.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 213
  • HDversion.jpg
    HDversion.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 186
Nice pics, there is a setting either in the camera app or in settings that you can turn off to save sd images when taking hd pictures.

Here's a couple of images of Cherry Barbs taken with the iPhone using the "patience method". I have found that as I use the phone more often, the fish are getting used to it and are less uneasy about the phone moving around against the glass as I try to line up shots. It's still hard to get a good image of the Flag Fish because of the skittish issue but the barbs are becoming quite content to have their photos taken.
The lighting is about 2w/gallon (4 full spectrum, around 5765K, 32w 48" T8s on a 75 gallon) on the tank where these pictures were taken. I don't know how much difference the lighting makes but I thought I should throw those numbers out there just in case.

Attachments

• barbie1.jpg
    barbie1.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 195
  • barbie2.jpg
    barbie2.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the info. I'm an idiot. Not sure why I hadn't turned that on. But it makes a huge difference.

Ah...thanks for pointing that out. The whole "HD" part is kinda misleading, isn't it? I keep the setting on to keep both images and then pick the one I want to use once I've adjusted the images. Up until now that is usually the HDR image but it's not ALWAYS the case. Sometimes I think the "regular" image looks better, such as in the Praecox images earlier in the post.

Hholly said:
I have the iPhone 4 too. But I can't get it to take very good pics at all. In fact it's the worst phone camera I've ever had. I wonder why yours turned out so much better? Nice pics!

its great on the 4s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

manmythlegend said:
Hmmmmm....
Ok. Here's exactly what I did:
Open the Camera app and select "Options".
Set the HDR to ON and select "Done".
Turn off the flash.
Place the phone right against the side of the aquarium and use the aquarium's side to steady the phone as you hold it with one hand.
Move the phone around, lining up and snapping photos as you go.

A few hints
Allow the camera to focus before shooting. To prompt the camera to focus where you want, tap the area on the phone screen where you want the focus to be (the fish, a plant, decorations, etc.) and wait for the box with the crosshairs to 'lock in' and then fade away. The camera is now focused on that area.
Due to there being no macro setting the subject needs to be a few inches away to get optimal focus.
Be patient. In the image with the Cherry Barb I focused on the female because she was sitting there quietly and I waited quite a bit for a male to come in frame to check on her before I took the shot.

OR... :huh:

Be quick. In the attached image of the Praecox I followed the fish around with the camera and when the opportunity arose, quickly tapped the focus and shot ASAP when the little booger was momentarily motionless. :fish1:
Once the image is in the Camera Roll you may find you have two of them. I think it saves one in HD and the other as a normal resolution image. If you have trouble telling the difference between the two, there is a faded out "HDR" right under the "Camera Roll" back arrow on the HD version.
Press "Edit" and use the magic wand to set the Auto-Enhance On then use the crop tool and select an area you find to be a pleasing composition. Cropping is done by the same pinching motion used to zoom in the Camera app.
Once you're happy with the way it looks, hit the gold colored "Save" button.
The first picture is the normal resolution image and the second is the HD version that I just took of a male Praecox Rainbow Fish to make sure I got all the steps listed on here that I used to take the photos in the correct sequence.
GOOD LUCK!

As you said about two pics being the same screenshot provided

Attachments

• image-2539461560.jpg
    image-2539461560.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 107
I created it, I am a sponsoring vendor on Aquarium Advice as well

zambono said:
I created it, I am a sponsoring vendor on Aquarium Advice as well

Oh right we'll I bought it can you modify it atall?

I have a thread for suggestions, follow the link on my signature. lets not hijack this thread.

Back
Top Bottom