July 2011 Saltwater Photo of the Month Contest Submissions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
Please submit your pictures for the July POTM contest.

Please refrain from discussing the photos in this thread. Only information about the particular photo will be allowed. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss a particular photo.

The Rules:
  • All photos must be original photos taken by you or photos of your tank. (please do not submit photos of another persons tank unless you have written permission from them to do so. If you do please include this written permission with your submittal)
  • All photos must be submitted in .jpg format and should be limited in size to 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 depending on layout and a file size no larger than 250KB.
  • All submissions should include the common name and scientific name of the subject contained within the frame.
  • All submissions should also include helpful information relating to the background of the subject, care requirements, etc.
  • Only 1 photo submission per month per member.
  • No photo editing other than resizing is permitted.

Submissions for the July POTM will be taken until 8pm EST on July 24th.

Carpenter Wrasse - Paracheilinus carpenteri
Active and beautiful little fish.
Easy to care for, likes to eat often.
Can be quite shy at times.
They are jumpers so beware!
I lost this poor guy after a few months because my hood light broke down, and I foolishly forgot to cover the tank when I put in a temporary strip light...
img_1445876_0_a4ab05513c0dc1a6112d0a20ef058821.jpg

This is Banana, a yellow watchman goby who is trying to eat an entire mysis shrimp. LOL
Easy to care for, and a fun little fish to watch. He is at this time MIA in my tank, hoping he will come out of hiding soon, I'm getting worried.

img_1447628_0_d6dc7b88f645f228ae56cfe8cfe60f5b.jpg

Phacellophora camtschatica I believe. Taken at the "Jellies" exhibit in Shedd Aquarium, Chicago.

They use cylindrical tanks because Jellyfish are caught in the corners of rectangular tanks, they also have to have filters the Jellyfish would never be able to get sucked into and that create very little flow. (Some Jellyfish require a precise flow because that is how they move).

More photos from that visit:
2011 07 Shedd Aquarium - a set on Flickr

Attachments

• jellyfish.jpg
    jellyfish.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 98
Common name: Purple Firefish
Scientific name: Nemateleotris decora

An absolutely beautiful fish that I photographed at the Potter Park Zoo in Lansing, Michigan.

Care: Purple Firefish are wonderful additions to a reef tank and are good for beginners; note that more than one shouldn't be kept in a tank. 10 or 20 gallons is the recommended minimum for these fish. They'll eat frozen, live, or flaked foods. I don't know much about these fish or saltwater fish in general, so this is just off the top of my head. D:

Attachments

• purple firefish.jpg
    purple firefish.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 222
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom