Laetacara Dorsigera (updated pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are some pics of my new fish. Also posted them in New Aquissitions, but I know more people look here, and I like to show them off :p

img_577609_0_8e2383f93f15fbf94ec24e708eeaf187.jpg

img_577609_1_fc0090366222c9fbc01a98dd65d54e16.jpg

img_577609_2_635e52b56325361d0a070c6508647a46.jpg

img_577609_3_6e3a6499aa9f6472a9ba1e387c7d8811.jpg

Nope, it's a pair! And you know I will try to breed them! 8) The male has a higher body, more round. The female is more oval and less.....high....Does that make sense? :lol:

Picture one is female, picture two: male above, female under, picture three: male
They are beautifull fish, I'm surprised they aren't kept by more people. I think there at least as good looking as the much more commonly held german blue ram.

I thought the female had some black and white markings, but maybe I'm thinking of the wrong acara, lol!

They are definitely not hugely popular and are not commonly seen, at least around here, and I agree they are a great fish. I know you will do your part to create more interest for them. :wink:

Actually, the coloration you are seeing on the fish now is non-breeding colors. When parenting and breeding, the lower side of their body becomes a deep bordeaux-red, and the upper side then has black horizontal stripes and beige.

Also, the male has 3 goldish dots at the base of the dorsal fin, as you can see in the third picture, while the female only has one....not sure about this feature being foulproof to identify sexes though.

Here are some links:
http://www.tdl.com/~wako/aquaria.html
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/aquarium/laetacara_dorsigera.htm

beautiful fish! I have a Laetacara curviceps and I also wonder why not too many Laetacaras are sold. Yours sort of look like miniature Jack Dempseys.

Not only wonderful looking fish but it looks like they will be happy to live in a tank that nice looking too. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom