Let's see your Apisto's!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those all look amazing!
@Bizbaz, I really like yours. They are so colorful! Excellent pictures too. The female positively lovely.
@Smcoyle, he is a darling little guy. I like the name too. Lol. :)
@Rookie, your fry are sooooo cute! Is that a double red? I am amazing that fry last in a community. They must be really good parents.

I am so jealous of these apistogrammas

Well...I'm not jealous OF them, I'm jealous that you guys HAVE them haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Get one! Or two! Lol
I have a pair of kribs that breed like crazy and i have apistos that im trying to get to breed.

I really love them, of you really sit and watch apistogrammas their personalities are unbelievable.

Oh believe me Smcoyle87, I've been trying for months now to find apistos. Every single breeder out there is telling me to wait a couple months and they'll have them, but the wait is killing me! I even went out and bought a 29 gallon tank for them, haha maybe I'm counting my chickens before they hate but **** it, I'm excited to have them...one day...

Nakinata- there are no lfs around you that have any?

Animal- In my experience they aren't hard to breed, they willingly breed lol, it's just hard to keep the babies alive. Right now, I have an "Orange Flash" Apistogramma Caca male, and 2 "triple red" females that just bred, for the second time, a couple of weeks ago and none of the babies survived. I'm currently conditioning the females again in (another) attempt to get fry. I really want to see the colors of these fry.

They breed, don't get me wrong these females love the male haha, it's just the BABIES!!! AHH

Most of the lfs around me closed down and there's only two left. Both of which are in a slow decline...I wasn't able to find apistogrammas last time I went either.

Do you know what's causing the babies to die? Are they getting picked on or are the fry not able to eat larger foods?

I sure wish I had some to share! I love these fish, but don't have any. I really like the apistogramma trifasciata and the apistogramma uaupesi and the...what am I saying??? I love them all!!!
Great thread! Thanks!:)

Mine aren't getting picked on, i only have apistogramma in that tank. Yes to the food thing. When the fry become free swimming and the mom starts to "lead them around the tank for food" they are TINY. half the size of a grain of rice. Plus i dont think i have the best mom in the world either, however she probably just meeds to mature more. We'll see, im def gonna keep trying!
Free babies when i get them! Lol

hahah very nice!! What I always wondered was, fry are so hard to raise in tanks, how in the world do they survive in nature? What do they eat???

In nature dish fry eat whatever they can find. Tiny microorganisms that grow on dead vegetation etc. In the aquarium this is hard to reproduce (im trying though!) Ps I've just read all this stuff in books and scientific papers on Apistogrammas. One of my females is bright yellow again and there are about 75 eggs in her coconut now so...should be any day now that i get to try again.

Back
Top Bottom