Little Skate Pictures and a Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is some of the results from the work I was doing in the lab last week. I'll start with some images from my further microscopy adventures. This is a preserved specimen of Raja erinacea ("little skate") that fits in the palm of your hand. Though considering the number of chemicals it has been in, I wouldn't recommend you try that. ;)

rerinacea_specimen.jpg

Next is a close-up I'm pretty proud of. This is a dorsal (top) view of the skate's eye and some of the spines surrounding it. This is about the limit of my improvised camera-microscope skills.

rerinacea_eye.jpg

And here is the right side of the jaw, with the lower jaw in focus. Can see how they're related to sharks, eh? =)

rerinacea_rjaw.jpg

This is a close-up on the supports for the pectoral fins (the "wings" of skates and rays). There's a lot of variability between one support and the next-- keep in mind that this is cartilage, not bone. The stain is a different kind than the one used on the Zebrasoma flavescens I posted a while ago.

rerinacea_pectoral.jpg

And for the last microscope photo, this is a really interesting picture. Skates alone have developed heavily modified pelvic fins that closely resemble a vertebrate foot. They use this appendage (called a crux, plural crura) to "punt" themselves along the bottom. One of the professors at my school is doing studies on this method of locomotion, and you can see one of his papers (with better pictures) here: http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=get-abstract&issn=0045-8511&volume=003&issue=03&page=0553

I opened up some of the membranes in this fin to make the cartilage a little easier to see, which is why it looks ragged. Normally all of the supports are interconnected.

rerinacea_crux.jpg

And here's an update on the live embryo I've been observing for the past few months. I've included previous pictures so you can get a sense of its development. I think someone lied to me about the age of the embryo, so I'm still trying to find out what it is. In a flow-through system like ours they can take a year to develop.

February 24th, 2004
4928r_erinacea_emb2.jpg

March 24th, 2004
rerinacea_324_2.jpg

April 21st, 2004
rerinacea_42404embryo.jpg

And finally, here is a video I took so that I could have a reference to describe "tail beating" behavior. Tail beating allows the embryo to increase water flow (thus oxygenation) when its in its egg case. However, its a heavily encoded behavior, so they'll do it even when they're not in an egg case. Sorry for the poor quality and shortness, but hope you enjoy it: http://members.aol.com/enduringdecay/rerinacea_42104.avi

That's all from me for now. I may post my final report after I turn in the project a week from today. 8O

So far it's taken about three months, yeah. Started working on it in early February. :)

Back
Top Bottom