Macro pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, All

Now that I have some decent light levels, I want to try and get the hang of doing some macro shots. I was trying to eperiment with getting down really close to the single polyp level with my camera. Even though I had my camera set to macro mode, I couldn't get really close and stay in focus. I have tried it with a distance of about 8" to about 3' using the zoom funtion, I just can't seem to get the hang of it. So I am wondering if A; I am not doing something right, or B: the camera I have isn't what I need for what I am trying to do.

Equipment:
Sony Cybershot 5.0 mp, DSC-v1with 4X optical zoom
I also have a wide angl, and telaphoto I can attatch to it.
it has M, A, S, Program and full auto to choose from.

Alternate equipment that I could try is my film camera:
Minolta Maxum 4 body
Sigma 20-80 HF Aspherical Macro
Sigma 70-300 DL super macro
Promaster 19-35mm Wide angle

TIA

yes. on any exposure below a 90th of a second. the problem is I can't get close enough and still be able to focus on it. It seems beyond the focusing cabability.

I'm not overly familiar with that model, but is it auto-focusing for you or do you have the option to manually focus? If it is autofocusing, usually the display will show you what it is focusing on after pushing the button down halfway, then you can adjust the camera so that the subject is in focus. ie: if it is focusing on something that is 1" closer than the polyp you are capturing, then once it is focused, move the camera 1" forward and visually get the subject in focus. It can be a pain but at least with a digital, you arent wasting away tons of film :)

on every lens there is a minimum focal length. If you are closer than that you will never have proper focus.

The macro mode on any camera will not make any difference in your focus. All a macro mode does is automatically open up the diaphragm as much as possible for the lens (the F values). You can do this yourself with the manual mode. It just lets you shoot faster as it will let more light into the camera.

If you look on the lenses for your film camera, you will see focus values from the minimum length to infinity. They are usually expressed in millimeters, but can also be seen in imperial measurements on some lenses.

Hope that helps.

If you have a high enough resolution camera you don't even need to be that close to get a good picture. I always thought you had to be inches away but you can be half a meter away and still get a large and beautiful macro. I would find out what the minimum focal length of your camera is and then start working at that distance.

Back
Top Bottom