Malawi Chiclid setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats exactly what i thought iv moved it to the back ill move it some more, will the brown flat rock be okay to add more of or would ocean rock be better? They all have a place to hide at present when i walked in this morning couldn't see one of them thought they'd all escaped.

Is it overstocked or is the stocking okay for Malawi i know they should be a little overstocked.

Last thing would the juwel actinic bulb look good with all my blue and yellow fish? If so which other juwel bulb would be best with it the high lite or the juwel color?

Many thanks

Thats exactly what i thought iv moved it to the back ill move it some more, will the brown flat rock be okay to add more of or would ocean rock be better? They all have a place to hide at present when i walked in this morning couldn't see one of them thought they'd all escaped.

Is it overstocked or is the stocking okay for Malawi i know they should be a little overstocked.

Last thing would the juwel actinic bulb look good with all my blue and yellow fish? If so which other juwel bulb would be best with it the high lite or the juwel color?

Many thanks

For stock how many fish do you have and what size tank? The overstocked theory doesn't always work. I have a overstocked 75 gallon and I still had 20 deaths due to a hyper dominate male. So... It can happen. I've had to re home a few fish already.

The bulbs or bulb is up to you and what look your going for. I had actinic bulbs with purple plus from ATI and was happy for a while but I wanted a more natural look so I axed the t5 colored bulbs and went with the marine land double bright led fixture.

You can clearly see the results in the pics. Much more natural.

Hope this helps.

I ended up with a juwel marine bright white and a juwel blue actinic they where buy one get one free so was rude not to :) also got some Seachem Matrix that will hopefully sort my Nitrate problem here the before and after picture no that many fish on show though but i much prefer it now

Attachments

• image-3832496994.jpg
    image-3832496994.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2513215843.jpg
    image-2513215843.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 104
I ended up with a juwel marine bright white and a juwel blue actinic they where buy one get one free so was rude not to :) also got some Seachem Matrix that will hopefully sort my Nitrate problem here the before and after picture no that many fish on show though but i much prefer it now

Looks good but I like the first pic better. But then again in art and every tank and aqua scape is art, there's is no right or wrong. It's set for interpretation. So either way its an amazing tank.

Moved stuff about again i just cant get it to what i like... Maybe i will one day :)

There ya go quick snap of it. All the fish dashed off into hiding as soon as i turned the light on, still amazes me they can all completely hide theres some a lot of big fish in there

Anyway not a cast improvement just a few caves for them and stuff. Its hard to see the rocks behind the the ones at the front with a photo theres hundreds of hidey holes and stuff looks better when you see it in real life and can have a nosey.

While I'm here iv noticed one of my fish has been scraping itself on the substrate i think it might be getting white spot :( can i treat Malawi's with normal exit white spot treatment for tropical and cold water fish or does it have to be some sort of special cichlid treatment?
Ill add a picture of the fish i dont know the exact name its dark blue/black with white on its tail i have 6 of them

Attachments

• image-3509591937.jpg
    image-3509591937.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2363713788.jpg
    image-2363713788.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 64
Yeah fire away, thats the black one i was saying is scraping sometime which i think may be getting white spot

Here are my few of my fave fish btw for anyone interested :)

Attachments

• image-2114701925.jpg
    image-2114701925.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2104223198.jpg
    image-2104223198.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2884302289.jpg
    image-2884302289.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image-4077002742.jpg
    image-4077002742.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 79
I like that fish. I'd stack the rocks more uneven. When scaping it's always good to take a step back and just look at it. The top looks level almost. Make it moreover they were placed my nature.

I read a book once on aqua scaping. It mentioned aqua scaping almost blind. Don't make things looked staged. Of course it may take time. It took me over a year to get my tank where I'm happy, for now. Like a true artist, your never happy and your, your own worst critic.

I hope that made sense.

I have a good feeling you may like this video. Enjoy it and really listen... It's a great video IMO.

http://youtu.be/OZ0WBDcEWZE

Yeah like i say its a work in progress, i think thats why im not 100% liking it yet because i want that natural look

Quick update, iv added more rocks and more ocean rock stacked at the back the fish seem to like it so im happy with it, how could i vacuum the gravel underneath all the rocks though without removing it all? Or will it be okay to just do the stuff thats exposed ?

Thanks

Attachments

• image-3520998982.jpg
    image-3520998982.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom