Mini coral farm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's a few pics of my mini coral farm. I apologize for the poor quality of the pics...took them with my camcorder which doesn't have the best still photo resolution. Actually...it probably has more to do with the poor resolution of the operator, but we won't go there :twisted: .
Logan J

Nice job, those zoos look sweet. In the pics the rocks your attatching the corals to looks pretty big. How big are they to give us a perspective on size of some of the frags.

those zoos and rics are very nice. what are the plans for your "harvest"?

Setup is two 20 long tanks, one of top of the other. The top one is drilled in the bottom glass. A MaxiJet 1200 serves as a return pump. There is also an old ZooMed PH with the rotating stuff pulled out of it in the top tank. Lighting is 1x65w 50/50 PC, 1x20w 10,000k NO, and 1x20w actinic NO. The bottom tank has a DSB and only has 1x15w NO light. There is also a small CC skimmer. I use the bottom tank for mushrooms.
The rocks are mostly "reef plugs" that are 2" in diameter and about 1" thick. The rock with the zoos is about 2 1/2" long by 2" wide. I've been chopping off a little piece of every soft coral that comes through the store. Most of my frags started out tiny...bout the size of a pencil eraser for most of them. This is just starting stock for the larger coral setup when we ever get it set up at the store.
Logan J

I'm not sure when we'll be ready to start selling stuff. The first thing I'll probably have ready will be zoos. I still have a ton of work to do getting the larger system set up and, as always, money for lighting and other such things is tight. I'll keep you updated as things progress though. I haven't really thought much about shipping any of this stuff yet. I will certainly do whatever I can for anyone on this site though.
Logan J

I have a silly question, you say you have a DSB in one tank...is there any other kind of filtration, or is none needed other than water changes? Please excuse my ignorance, I know the answer should be self explanatory.

The tanks are stacked...sort of like a reef tank with a sump...same theory anyway. The top tank is drilled in the bottom glass and has a PVC "overflow" that drains into the bottom tank. The bottom tank has a DSB, a Lee CC skimmer and a MaxiJet 1000 PH that is used to return water to the top tank. No other filtration. There is a blue damsel in the bottom tank and 2 green chromis and a sailfin blenny in the top. There is an assorted collection of crabs and snails in both tanks. I feed these tanks like crazy...all the fish can eat and lots of chromaplex and phytoplex. I also had some CSL coral food, but I'm out of that now. I throw in some frozen "invert food" once in a while too. Nitrates have never been readable. I haven't done a water change yet :oops: ...just topped off with fresh water every day.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom