My 12g Nano Cube FW - It's all grown up now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just wanted to give my JBJ Nano Cube 12g it's own thread. This was the tank that was given to me as a gift several years ago and was also "the reason" why I got back in to the hobby since I was a child and why I own 4 tanks now (possibly 5th on the way :hide:). It's funny because when I got this tank, I lived in a tiny apartment so I couldn't have a large tank. So I wanted a small tank with 'big tank' features or 'feel' to it. Being a big time newb, I got the Nano Cube without any consideration that it was meant to be a saltwater tank. I ran the tank with the stock 50/50 actinic lighting, thinking for some odd reason that the 'blue' light was cool, and the overpowered pump was alright for FW. I had the craziest amount of algae, my poor fish fought a current, and my low light plants didn't do so well.

Well, slowly but surely I started to ask questions here on AA and do some research on the web. Being that I was busy with school and work, I had little time to actually devote to this tank. But in small increments, the tank evolved along with my enlightened knowledge of aquaria. First the pump was switched out to something more manageable for FW (w/ flow control... thank God), then the lighting, and finally the substrate.

Changing from fake to live plants was the start.. but more recently, I changed the standard gravel to some Floramax (similar to eco-complete and flourite) substrate.. Also adding in the DIY CO2 and changing the bulbs for optimal 6500K/10000K light spectrum for growing plants.... All I can say is WOW... what a difference! Less algae, amazing plant growth, and just a newly found appreciation for my tank! Take the full plunge my friends.. you won't regret it!

I went from this... the OLD setup..
img_2143992_0_4b92a0373dfefce86e17dbb2940a57a9.jpg

8054754234_88ea1130c5_z.jpg

To this...(note: algae explosion)..
img_2143992_2_1f98069ebc8f9171dad561c4269ef3a7.jpg

8054754044_606ca96cf7_z.jpg

And then TO THIS after a little RESEARCH & LEARNING (in the span of a couple of years...LOL). It's definitely a rewarding hobby! :)
img_2143992_4_d88346de3bdaa7ae186093dee90a2ebf.jpg

img_2143992_5_0a1dd4fb0b39dd7e441ec4605fdb5279.jpg

Thanks for checking out the evolution of my tank!!! :thanks:

What type of moss is that growing on the rocks in the third picture?

I believe it was a form of Chlorophyta algae (like what's found on Japanese Marimo Moss balls). I didn't introduce it to the tank deliberately. It somehow grew crazy due to the high lights, wrong light spectrum (50/50 actinics), and no co2. I actually found it attractive on certain areas like the rocks, fake driftwood, and the back wall. But it was such a pain to scrape off the glass every week and it covered all my plants...LOL

I'll take the moss wall off your hands lol

Would love if the back panel got covered in moss like that, makes it look more natural in my book

Thanks Betta!

Update... 10/30/12

Did a major trimming... it was growing like a crazy out of control jungle! I cut off the bottoms of most of the stem plants and just replanted to get a nice fresh growth. The Staurogyne Repens are starting to carpet the right side nicely.. and the smallest sample of Hydrocotyle Tripartita sp. Japan is really starting to propagate well and spread.

Just some new pics to update this thread.. probably my last for a while.
8140038770_99613ed84b_b.jpg

8140038678_bbcab330ac_b.jpg

Looks great Brian, now I'm gonna have to go through and read this entire thread...

Is the DHG on the left? How do you like it? I'm doing a microsword carpet and some having issues with GSA. Was thinking about swapping for DHG, but it would be a shame to waste all that I've grown.

EDIT: oh JK just realized its only one page so far! Haha

Billbug... yup, it's DHG! I does collect a little bit of debris and I had a little bit of hair algae and BBA on the tips.. I just cut them off and haven't really had issues since. There different species of DHG. The one I have in here is Eleocharis Parvula. It's the smaller more compact variant of DHG.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Billbug... yup, it's DHG! I does collect a little bit of debris and I had a little bit of hair algae and BBA on the tips.. I just cut them off and haven't really had issues since. There different species of DHG. The one I have in here is Eleocharis Parvula. It's the smaller more compact variant of DHG.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. You dosing dry ferts yet?

Brian_Nano12g said:
No not yet.. Still have a bunch of seachem left.

I'm in the same boat, gonna order some soon though. I'm really looking forward to trying it out though, now that I have a better understanding of everything.

yeah me too... I have a scale, dispenser bottles, and all that beautiful dry ferts packaged from GLA. Time will come... I'm in no hurry since what I have now is working well enough.

Brian_Nano12g said:
yeah me too... I have a scale, dispenser bottles, and all that beautiful dry ferts packaged from GLA. Time will come... I'm in no hurry since what I have now is working well enough.

Did you get the dispenser bottles from GLA?

Yes... thanks to the recommendation of Rivercats. I was just going to order the dry ferts but couldn't find any other dispenser bottles online. So luckily I was advised to get them because it certainly helps on shipping costs with bundling.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Yes... thanks to a the recommendation of Rivercats. I was just going to order the dry ferts but couldn't find any other dispenser bottles online. So luckily I was advised to get them because it certainly helps on shipping costs with bundling.

Looks like that's what I'll be going for as well!

Back
Top Bottom