My 12gal fluval edge aquascaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miylee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to share my new 12 gallon tank that is currently cycling. I have a Zoo med t5ho fixture sitting ontop of the glasstop temporarily instead of the original black box hood to give my plants some light they've been missing the last few days :p

First time aquascaping... trying to plan out what fish i want to bring into the tank once its ready..:huh:????
6839540443_43c8859e48_b.jpg

Really pretty! Fish wise you could do a microrasboras species, scarlet badis, celsestail pearl danios, a betta, dwarf crayfish, shrimp, Lots of options!

Very pretty. Very nice job with the aquascaping. I have been cycling my fluval edge ( 6g) for four weeks now. Still not ready. I wish I had gone with the 12g fluval just so I could put more into it. Everyone talks about celestial pearl danios as an ideal fish for this size tank. Very difficult to find around here. Please post more pics when you have stocked.

hey thanks everyone! :) i will definitely check up/research on all the kinds of fish that was recommended and give you a finals list of fish to get help on finalizing my decision.

for the cycling, it has only been less than a week and i'm doing it fishless. which means i will definetely update you all but that is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR from now (feeling for me at least) D;

update: stopped by petsmart today to buy a longer net and stumbled upon a pre filter foam pad made by fluval to cover up the intake?, i prefer it since it blends in with the black backpiece&heater..overall seamless :) yay

Very pretty. Very nice job with the aquascaping. I have been cycling my fluval edge ( 6g) for four weeks now. Still not ready. I wish I had gone with the 12g fluval just so I could put more into it. Everyone talks about celestial pearl danios as an ideal fish for this size tank. Very difficult to find around here. Please post more pics when you have stocked.

you can always pick one up in the future~ id definitely go pick one up if you wanted the fluval edge look with more room to deco. even when I first got my 12g i was worried about what could fit inside etc but it was probably due to the opening that tricks you into thinking its impossible to fit a nice big piece of anything in that small opening. surprisingly was able to decorate plenty. I think i could even add several more plants as well..one neat thing about the 6 gal though is the light fixtures seem easier to replace than the new 12g LED lighting at least what I was able to find online. i just winded up buying a whole 80$ light fixture from zoomed but it was worth it in the end for the plants & it REALLY lights up the tank even the floor :D

What plant is in the front left corner?

sorry i cant even remember any of the names of the plants i have in my tank right now. yah, i know pretty pathetic, but hey..they are difficult! slowly but surely~:)

but basically i was just recommended to go to this really hip aquarium store in san francisco called "Aquatic Forest" definetely should check it out sometime if you live nearby or ever visit CA. TONS of aquatic plants, great fish, and bunch of amazing tanks with majority ADA tank setups. :eek:like mindblowing x29384 hehe but anywho, thats where I got it... I'll let you know if I figure out the names in the near future as ill probably go visit there sometime soon for more plants ...:D

Your tank looks great!

I have the 12-gallon, too, with lots of plants. I was able to cycle my tank in about 2 weeks using two different bottled bacteria solutions and placing some of the rockwool in my filter from some plants I bought to help seed the tank. I have no idea which of the three (one of the solutions or the seeding material) helped the most, or if it was a combination.

I have a betta in mine with 9 cardinal tetras, 1 cory, 1 pleco (tiny/dwarf), nerite and apple snails, and, just recently, some amano and cherry shrimp. It's a very active tank. My amonia and nitrites are at zero, and my nitrates are around 20, so it doesn't seem to be overstocked, but I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure. I'm sure I'm at the upper limit of the bio-load for this tank. I do partial water changes every week, and I think the plants help, too. It's like a jungle in there with my new aponogeton ("wonder bulbs"). I'll probably have to prune them back soon. I also have Amazon sword plants, java moss, and some others.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in about the stocking ideas and let you know what I have in my Fluval that seems to be successful so far.

Here's a pic of mine.

Fluval Edge.jpg

miylee said:
sorry i cant even remember any of the names of the plants i have in my tank right now. yah, i know pretty pathetic, but hey..they are difficult! slowly but surely~:)

but basically i was just recommended to go to this really hip aquarium store in san francisco called "Aquatic Forest" definetely should check it out sometime if you live nearby or ever visit CA. TONS of aquatic plants, great fish, and bunch of amazing tanks with majority ADA tank setups. :eek:like mindblowing x29384 hehe but anywho, thats where I got it... I'll let you know if I figure out the names in the near future as ill probably go visit there sometime soon for more plants ...:D

Oh ill check thar place out. Have u been to Aquatic Central on ocean Ave? I bought some celestial Pearl danios there a little while ago. They have a great selection in both fish and plants. The service there great too. I got to the store once and it turned out they were closing early but the Guy reopened all the gates for me and got me what I needed. What substrate do u have in your tank?

Very nice. The Rotala W looks very healthy.

Take a look at a combo of RCS or CRS and some boraras brigittae. That would be a sharp combo in that size of tank.

Your tank looks great!

I have the 12-gallon, too, with lots of plants. I was able to cycle my tank in about 2 weeks using two different bottled bacteria solutions and placing some of the rockwool in my filter from some plants I bought to help seed the tank. I have no idea which of the three (one of the solutions or the seeding material) helped the most, or if it was a combination.

I have a betta in mine with 9 cardinal tetras, 1 cory, 1 pleco (tiny/dwarf), nerite and apple snails, and, just recently, some amano and cherry shrimp. It's a very active tank. My amonia and nitrites are at zero, and my nitrates are around 20, so it doesn't seem to be overstocked, but I'm keeping a close eye on it to make sure. I'm sure I'm at the upper limit of the bio-load for this tank. I do partial water changes every week, and I think the plants help, too. It's like a jungle in there with my new aponogeton ("wonder bulbs"). I'll probably have to prune them back soon. I also have Amazon sword plants, java moss, and some others.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in about the stocking ideas and let you know what I have in my Fluval that seems to be successful so far.

Here's a pic of mine.

View attachment 76759

thanks for your post. I definitely enjoy the full look of a heavily planted tank like yours. It is something I was looking forward to...unfortunately during my cycling thats still going my plants arn't doing too well. I've done a little research and it could possibly be the plants not living up to the ammonia? although its only at .25 ppm.. or I heard it could be the lighting? and I havnt bought a timer yet but usually It's on for 10 hours. the plants that arnt holding up well are basically turning "see through" quite frustrating I cant figure out what it is, but my plan is to just wait till the cyclings all finished to add more plants.

I feel like the cycling process is taking forever as well...but i think i will try buying another bottle of good bacteria, what was the brands that you have used?

Also seems you have great success in keeping your tank occupied with many fish. I think its working out with the heavily planted tank you have. I also was interested in possibly getting some shrimp as well a school of Harlequin rasboras. I thought a betta would enjoy the 12g but I wasnt sure since I've read up alot on the fluvals having small openings and bettas enjoying a larger opening for air..hows your betta in the tank? do you leave some space for it to get air or have it filled completely to the top?

oh and thanks for the stocking tips ;)

miylee said:
thanks for your post. I definitely enjoy the full look of a heavily planted tank like yours. It is something I was looking forward to...unfortunately during my cycling thats still going my plants arn't doing too well. I've done a little research and it could possibly be the plants not living up to the ammonia? although its only at .25 ppm.. or I heard it could be the lighting? and I havnt bought a timer yet but usually It's on for 10 hours. the plants that arnt holding up well are basically turning "see through" quite frustrating I cant figure out what it is, but my plan is to just wait till the cyclings all finished to add more plants.

I feel like the cycling process is taking forever as well...but i think i will try buying another bottle of good bacteria, what was the brands that you have used?

Also seems you have great success in keeping your tank occupied with many fish. I think its working out with the heavily planted tank you have. I also was interested in possibly getting some shrimp as well a school of Harlequin rasboras. I thought a betta would enjoy the 12g but I wasnt sure since I've read up alot on the fluvals having small openings and bettas enjoying a larger opening for air..hows your betta in the tank? do you leave some space for it to get air or have it filled completely to the top?

oh and thanks for the stocking tips ;)

How are you cycling? Are you adding any ammonia? No need for bottled bacteria. Plants consume ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so that's not your problem. I'd suggest starting a thread in the planted tank section asking what is needed lighting wise. Also what ferts are needed.

Back
Top Bottom