My frankie -- catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impolite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Frankie, my catfish, whom ive had for over a year -congrats to myself- and I'm finally wondering... What kind is he?
He's really fat from eating (I had just fed him, that's why he's chunky looking, haha, but if you really know pond catfish, you know they do this and it shouldn't hurt him)
Ok, so, he's a pond catfish, caught as a baby, stunted growth, isn't very huge (cept his belly)
He doesn't have a forked tail, is dark colored, but when exposed to light for a long time he turns lighter) his belly is white.
Hes with his girlfriend (Jeremy) the minnow, theyve been together since I got them. He's super fun! And he eats from a "fish bowl" I made from a sea shell so he can find his food easier. He gets like 5 pellets a day. He poops a lot, and his little rock cave is full of it, and when I took this shot, he had just whipped his tail all around like he does (I figure it's a defense mechanism in the fish world to stir up mud so you cant be seen? Or to burrow.. Whatever) but he's not spotted, it's his poop :/
I cleaned the tank like three days ago when I moved it to the new location.

Anyways!!!! I think he's a charm and I wanna know the type!
BY THE WAY: the picture I have of him by my hand, he jumped out of his water change tank when I was puttin him back in the water after cleaning the tank, and I was like, "oh ican hand measure him!" I didn't have him out just because

Attachments

• image-127833027.jpg
    image-127833027.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 213
  • image-408128382.jpg
    image-408128382.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 200
  • image-2263580476.jpg
    image-2263580476.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 220
Nice catfish.

I think it might be either a Channel Catfish or a Blue Catfish, both of which grow huge.

adadkins1 said:
Nice catfish.

I think it might be either a Channel Catfish or a Blue Catfish, both of which grow huge.

Those are both with forked tails

Oops, looked kinda like one of them at first glance. Maybe some catfish finatic will be able to tell you what kind of cat it is.

allaboutfish said:
maybe a rapheal cat.

It's definately not... I got him from a pond.
Nothing special. I'm in Arkansas. Bout as bland of fish as it gets

He has NO stripes or spots. Just a black/dark brown top, and a white underside.

Update:
So weird, he doesn't match the description of ANY of the ones listed!

Scientific Name Noturus funebris Gilbert & Swain, 1891 Add this species to your "My Cats" page.
Common Name(s) Black madtom
Type Locality Spring Run of North River near Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, U.S.A.
Pronunciation no two russ
Etymology From the Greek notos, meaning back and oura, meaning tail. In reference to the confluent adipose and caudal fins. This specific epithet refers to its black (funereal=black) coloration.

black bullhead - Ameiurus melas
black_bullhead_Raver.gif

my guess and yeah they will turn themselves into a football shape by eating too much.

Back
Top Bottom